Your top 5 documentaries?

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
steve hyde

Your top 5 documentaries?

Post by steve hyde »

...I'll list mine later..
mattias

Post by mattias »

Paradise lost, addicted to acting, the mods trilogy, biggie and tupac, shark weekend on discovery, tbc... /matt
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

There have been some great ones lately:

Grizzly Man
My Own Flesh and Blood
Phantom Limb
Murderball
Fog of War

I like some of Kieslowski's docs:

"Talking Heads"
"Seven Women of Different Ages"

Two great docs on the filmmaking process:

"Burden of Dreams"
"Heart of Darkness: A filmmaker's Apocalypse"

I like Diane Keaton's documentary:

"Heaven" , 1987

...I'm not sure what my top five are..

STeve
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Grizzly Man is one of the most frightening films ever made. Surely one of the best docus. I haven't seen nearly as much of Kieslowski's docu work as I'd like, but 'Hospital' (on the Veronique DVD) looks extremely promising. The crew followed doctors at an understaffed hospital for two days and captured a lot of footage. 'From a Night Porter's Point of View' is very good. 'Personnel' is an interesting mix of docu-style footage with staged events and some scripted dialogue.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Evan Kubota wrote:Grizzly Man is one of the most frightening films ever made. Surely one of the best docus. I haven't seen nearly as much of Kieslowski's docu work as I'd like, but 'Hospital' (on the Veronique DVD) looks extremely promising. The crew followed doctors at an understaffed hospital for two days and captured a lot of footage. 'From a Night Porter's Point of View' is very good. 'Personnel' is an interesting mix of docu-style footage with staged events and some scripted dialogue.
...I saw both of these when the Kieslowski celluloid was in town recently. It's great to see these older docs in silver. I agree they are both interesting. That Night Porter is an idiot. :D
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Grizzly man is in my top five documentaries to be sure. I have been thinking a lot about my attraction to this kind of documentary and I have come to realize that the best new documentaries, perhaps the defining quality of the new documentaries, is that they are character-driven.

Herzog has had a long-standing interest in characters that exist in the margins with big, wild, fantastical, idealist dreams. Timothy Treadwell is one of many "Fitzcaraldos" that have come to the American West to wander out into the wilderness in search of sanity and peace from the cruelty of society. I have known a few Treadwell characters myself.

Through Treadwell's own biographical films, Herzog brings us the domain of Treadwell..."king of all the bears and foxes". We learn how Tim was the King of this domain and we learn why - without being told.

It is a great documentary.

Steve
Last edited by steve hyde on Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattias

Post by mattias »

so has anyone seen addicted to acting? it's a real gem about people applying to an acting school in germany. tells us more about what it's like being a teenager today than any doc about "normal" people, or pot smoking sexually abused white trash teens for that matter, or any fictional piece.

/matt
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

mattias wrote:so has anyone seen addicted to acting? it's a real gem about people applying to an acting school in germany. tells us more about what it's like being a teenager today than any doc about "normal" people, or pot smoking sexually abused white trash teens for that matter, or any fictional piece.

/matt
No, in fact I haven't seen any of the docs you referenced. I will check this stuff out. I am getting ready to go on a documentary bender and I hope to root out lots of great stuff.. keep the lists coming if you think of any more..

Steve
mattias

Post by mattias »

the arm wrestler from solitude (armbryterskan från ensamheten) is a really good swedish one that i think has some kind of international distribution. the mods trilogy i'm sure is available, the best swedish documentary/ies ever. here's a link where they talk about it:

http://www.yidff.jp/docbox/18/box18-2-e.html

you *have* to see paradise lost. it will change your life. i promise.

/matt
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

..thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into these..

Steve
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

steve hyde wrote:
Who in their right mind would not feel shattered by the state of the world today? Tim was shattered. Are the Timothy Treadwell's of the world crazy or is it the larger society that is exhibiting insanity?
I don't understand this kind fo thinking - we live in a time of unrivaled peace and material prosperity.

The critical voice feels the need to disparage the presents rather than see the opportunities it presents.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

npcoombs wrote:
steve hyde wrote:
Who in their right mind would not feel shattered by the state of the world today? Tim was shattered. Are the Timothy Treadwell's of the world crazy or is it the larger society that is exhibiting insanity?
I don't understand this kind fo thinking - we live in a time of unrivaled peace and material prosperity.

The critical voice feels the need to disparage the presents rather than see the opportunities it presents.
Depends on who and where you are.....tell that to Bela Tarr...

Steve
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

I do highly suggest you guys check out Diane Keaton's excellent documentary "Heaven". It is a fascinating look at religious fanaticisms and the wild, yet imaginative, fantasies people concoct about what the after life might be like.. It's a great 16mm film. It's a shame she did not keep directing films.

Steve
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

steve hyde wrote:
npcoombs wrote:
steve hyde wrote:

Depends on who and where you are.....tell that to Bela Tarr...

Steve
I just get a little fed up with this kind of apocalyptic talk all the time from politicians, columnists, punditry of all types - "the dangerous and uncertain 21st century"...the world is burning up, terrorism is out of control....

People seem to forget that 20 years ago every major city in the world had nukes aimed its way, 2 million died in the Iran-Iraq war, millions in Vietnam, millions starved in China etc. etc.

This is not to say the present is perfect, but doom-mongering is the enemy of all progressive change.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

People seem to forget that 20 years ago every major city in the world had nukes aimed its way, 2 million died in the Iran-Iraq war, millions in Vietnam, millions starved in China etc. etc.
Even more, consider the world 1,000 years ago. Think about the mortality rate from common diseases, a twenty five-year life expectancy, and consider how much better life, in general, is now.