8mm black and white film project

Collaborative film projects
Superbus_

8mm black and white film project

Post by Superbus_ »

I just thinking about an 8mm project with black and white film. I have different 8mm cameras but we had projects only limited for super 8 cameras. What about the older format?

My rules (you can add your ideas or veto mines!):
3 - 5 minutes film
black and white
the subject of the film has to be something which could happened 50 years ago. For example people with an oldtimer car or peoiple using an oldtimer movie camera (another one for sure ) or an old fashioned dressed man walking - something like that.

I want to film the Orient express... ;)

The final film will be digitalized and edited as a unified movie.

Any other ideas?
"Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí."
("When he awoke, the dinosaur was still there.")

Augusto Monterroso, El Dinosaurio
Superbus_

Re: 8mm black and white film project

Post by Superbus_ »

We can change the rules but hey, are there abyone who use 8mm film?

It's cheap you can just feed your bolex or any type of 8mm camera and start filming.

71er

Post by 71er »

Hello Superbus!
I don't know, there have been so many proposals and ideas about new projects but it seems that people are not interested enough - why??? What has to be done to get a bit of a discussion going and to lift off with a project?
Well, I'm filming standard 8 quite a lot and I want to be part of such a project; but are there any other ones out there?!
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

I'm also filming Standard 8, and right next to me on my desk is a parcel with new black and white film stock. I'll be off to the Isle of Skye soon, and I'm pretty sure I could find some stuff there that looks 50 years old.

Happy to join a project such as this. Can those 3-5 minutes of footage be just about anything - so long as it looks old enough?
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

about to film Standard 8 - but this might not be the right thread for my questions?

like the sound of this project though - you can please count me in but i won't guarantee anything - for every 100 feet of film i shoot 50 go west :-o

we can be a Kurosawa-type 'Seven Standard 8 Film-Makers' ? :lol:

;)

Ric
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

All participants are welcomed here!

My first ideas was just to start and do it, because all the other projects are related to super 8, so we can make a different one, especially because of the other rule: black and white.

The list of participants:
71er,
Charlie Blackfield,
mr_x,
Superbus

Another key question:

1. Do we film an old style movie (my first idea) or

2. We can make shorts simply about different places of the world and then have a final film. This is more similar to the super 8 projects but in black and white and standard 8, so it will be really different.

mr_x

Post by mr_x »

Superbus_ wrote:All participants are welcomed here!

My first ideas was just to start and do it, because all the other projects are related to super 8, so we can make a different one, especially because of the other rule: black and white.

The list of participants:
71er,
Charlie Blackfield,
mr_x,
Superbus

Another key question:

1. Do we film an old style movie (my first idea) or

2. We can make shorts simply about different places of the world and then have a final film. This is more similar to the super 8 projects but in black and white and standard 8, so it will be really different.
thanks Superbus,

personally i'm going to film something old, am not going to try and replicate 'old movies' as such, i think the sense of time will come through what i hope to do. my biggest headache will be loading / re-loading the film without fogging everything - those Regular 8 reels are not exactly designed for manipulating in a film-changing bag, which is what i will probably try to do :o i can thread the film okay through the film gate but getting it onto the take-up spool is going to be a challenge ;)

Ric
71er

Post by 71er »

Hello Superbus!
I'm OK with both ideas; but I have to say that two weeks ago I used a Super8 b/w to film a festival in our town and I wanted it to look like it was in the past (everybody wore traditional clothes) but I had to give up this idea as there is facts showing modern time all around that can not be blanked out. So old style movie OK but maybe not to the extreme.
Ric: I practiced to load and turn the film a few times with a "waste" film before I loaded the real one. After about three times you can do it without looking and then it's no problem to do it in a changing bag. If you don't have a film to waste I could send you one; just send me a message!
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

71er wrote:Ric: I practiced to load and turn the film a few times with a "waste" film before I loaded the real one. After about three times you can do it without looking and then it's no problem to do it in a changing bag. If you don't have a film to waste I could send you one; just send me a message!
many thanks - i have got some waste/exposed 16mm/Double8 to thread :) but i bet i'm still 'all thumbs' on the day though! :lol:

;)

Ric
Charlie Blackfield

If everything worked out alright, I may have the first few minutes of footage for this project. I've recorded the first half of one film roll on the Isle of Skye, making sure that nothing's in the picture that couldn't have been there 50-odd years ago. After turning over the roll, I got just too tempted on trying out my wide-angle lens on a scene of a couple of cranes loading a giant wind turbine blade onto a big truck (which happened at Kyle of Lochalsh train station), so this scene would obviously have to be cut if staying with the 'old movie' idea. The rest was recorded in and around Inverness, mostly nature, ducks, dragonflies (not sure if I captured them alright). I'll send the film off to processing maybe next week and let you know the result once I've got it back (and once I've got a working projector again - I destroyed my last one when I tried to fix it: fitted a new belt and managed to damage the film transport mechanism, grrmmpphhh).
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

also

filmed the first half of a Regular 8 film today - wanted to complete the shoot tomorrow but i know when i am overextending myself - it will be next week if the weather permits

decided to leave the B&H 624 for another day since i very recently picked up a Bolex Paillard P1 which works! :) i have a P3 which does not :(

Bolex meter seems to be 1 f.stop out of sync with my Gossen light meter - i hope this is not going to be serious: it looks as if the Bolex is overexposing by 1 stop so i am compensating by 1/2 stop

no clues what i'm filming it is a secret - 'old stuff' is all i will say :]

sorry to hear about the projector - i totalled a GP-E (Elmo lens) the other day by trying to fix it - it just fell apart all over the place :-o eventually i had to replace the projector because no other lens would fit it, but at least i have a reliable projector again

bests

R
Charlie Blackfield

New projector expected next week, and the film of Scotland has been sent on its journey today for processing, so it looks like everything's coming together. How is everyone else doing?
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

Charlie Blackfield wrote:New projector expected next week, and the film of Scotland has been sent on its journey today for processing, so it looks like everything's coming together. How is everyone else doing?
fingers crossed!

am saying nothing more :-o

Scots film sounds cool 8)

;)

Ric
71er

Post by 71er »

I've got film, camera and an idea. Just have to wait for a chance to get the "actors" to the location ...
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

knackered ...
but so far so good - developed print ok. now have to split it though, so am still not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination :-o

fingers crossed!

;)

Ric