8mm black and white film project

Collaborative film projects
mr_x

Re: 8mm black and white film project

Post by mr_x »

okay,

film split'n'spliced and viewed in editor: well, it certainly looks 'old' so should fit the brief all right :)

another project coming up so won't be able to transfer b/w project for a week or so, and would like to dub a soundtrack (even if not used)

is there a deadline for the b/w film project please?

thanks ;)

Ric
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

Charlie and Ric you are almost ready, congratulations!

No, there is no deadline.
I will film my part in September when the Orient express will come to Budapest. On the other hand I'm not sure that I can make what I decided - a lot of other people invading the train too, so i also have a B plan too and maybe I can will find something interesting during my holiday, so i will go with an 8mm camera for vacations...
"Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí."
("When he awoke, the dinosaur was still there.")

Augusto Monterroso, El Dinosaurio
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

Superbus_ wrote:Charlie and Ric you are almost ready, congratulations!

No, there is no deadline.
I will film my part in September when the Orient express will come to Budapest. On the other hand I'm not sure that I can make what I decided - a lot of other people invading the train too, so i also have a B plan too and maybe I can will find something interesting during my holiday, so i will go with an 8mm camera for vacations...
Thanks (relief)

it may take me longer than i thought, first time i have experimented with this format, but results are promising :) will update ;)

R
Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

Confession time. While this project is still in progress, I already managed to destroy part of it.

Here's the breakdown:

A while ago I received my new projector, an Elmo GP-E, fully serviced and tested, bought via ebay. Unfortunately, it got knocked about quite a bit by the courier, and it took me a while to get it back to work. In the end it did very well on projecting a Super 8 reel, followed by some Standard 8 footage. Lured into a false sense of security, I then fed it with the newly-arrived Standard 8 footage from the Isle of Skye. It took a suspiciously long time for the film to reach the take-up spool, so I stopped the projector, opened it up - and my fears were confirmed: the film was all muddled up, I had to chop off all the film leader and the first few seconds of the film. On a more positive note, when holding the film against the light, the frames looked correctly exposed, so hopefully the rest of the film (which I haven't yet seen) should be okay as well. For now, I won't take any chances, so I'll just send off the footage unseen to a transfer place, once I've added some new film leader.

I'm glad to hear the deadline isn't until September at the earliest, hopefully by then it'll all be sorted out.
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

Charlie Blackfield wrote:Confession time. While this project is still in progress, I already managed to destroy part of it.

Here's the breakdown:

A while ago I received my new projector, an Elmo GP-E, fully serviced and tested, bought via ebay. Unfortunately, it got knocked about quite a bit by the courier, and it took me a while to get it back to work. In the end it did very well on projecting a Super 8 reel, followed by some Standard 8 footage. Lured into a false sense of security, I then fed it with the newly-arrived Standard 8 footage from the Isle of Skye. It took a suspiciously long time for the film to reach the take-up spool, so I stopped the projector, opened it up - and my fears were confirmed: the film was all muddled up, I had to chop off all the film leader and the first few seconds of the film. On a more positive note, when holding the film against the light, the frames looked correctly exposed, so hopefully the rest of the film (which I haven't yet seen) should be okay as well. For now, I won't take any chances, so I'll just send off the footage unseen to a transfer place, once I've added some new film leader.

I'm glad to hear the deadline isn't until September at the earliest, hopefully by then it'll all be sorted out.
commiserations,

my Chinon chewed up a film project a while ago - awful when that happens - meanwhile i have footage and no developer so am stuck

this project is turning into an obstacle course :-o

fun ultimately though ;)

Ric
71er

Post by 71er »

I did the filming I wanted to do for the project; it's only half a reel - so I'm waiting now for an opportunity to expose the second "side" and then getting it developed. Exciting!
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

i have ground to a halt until Foma kits reappear in the UK - i need to solarise my footage and no lab can do that for me :-|

R
Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

mr_x wrote:i have ground to a halt until Foma kits reappear in the UK - i need to solarise my footage and no lab can do that for me :-|

R
I just checked the Wittner website as I seemed to remember that they sell Fomapan kits - and so they do, see
http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katal ... lmentw.php
and scroll down to the end of the page. I'm not sure if they have any available at the moment, but might be worth asking.

On another note, I have now received the miniDV tape with the transferred footage I shot on the Isle of Skye in June. So what's the next step?
71er

Post by 71er »

Very good chances to get Foma developer also at:
http://www.fotoimpex.de
My film is off for developing to Kahl; I hope they are doing a quick job as they are reorganising their b/w lab.
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

'bout time i rattled Silverprint's cage again ;)

R
71er

Post by 71er »

Got my film back OK, just a little bit overexposed by my Eumig C3 - well it really looks old style now.
I will cut it in the next few days and then? I don't have telecine, I could just film it off the screen with a digital camera. Are we planning to put it on Vimeo, YouTube or the like?
I mean if it gets positive response I could send it in for telecine ...
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

hi, have just managed to re-adjust my screen projector (which was incorrectly set up by vendor) to view Standard 8 footage. my 'old' film is awaiting test results on Bolex cameras until i proceed with filming the final feet of the feature. will need to develop the film myself for some effects but still do not know if Silverprint have reversal chemistry in stock - last time i phoned they did not know either. Progress is slow but progress there is.

you don't need teleciné you can aerial transfer by videoing your projector's film gate, as long as you have a dv cam with a decent zoom and so forth - better than keystoning ;)
71er

Post by 71er »

Hi mr_x!
I have to admit that getting my films into digital format was never an issue for me until now, so I never ever looked into it.
When you write that I should video the film gate, do you mean that I should take the projector's lens off and direct the video camera right onto the film gate? Isn't that far too bright? Give me some advice please, I'm a complete novice in this field!
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

71er wrote:Hi mr_x!
I have to admit that getting my films into digital format was never an issue for me until now, so I never ever looked into it.
When you write that I should video the film gate, do you mean that I should take the projector's lens off and direct the video camera right onto the film gate? Isn't that far too bright? Give me some advice please, I'm a complete novice in this field!
Hi Alex,

you can construct an aerial transfer 'box' for the cost of a piece of plywood, a large magnifying glass and a few other bits and pieces. you projector projects onto a single surface mirror (eBay) and reflects your filmgate at a right angle through the magnifying glass into the lens of your zoomed dv cam

you will need a variable speed projector (3 blade) to sync with the dv cam: just keep gently manipulating the projector speed until the image stabilises (16.67fps for 18fps film)

you swop your tungsten bulb for a lower wattage and mask that with some white glass or white perspex in order to balance the illumination across the film gate, so no 'hot spot'

the magnifying glass needs to be reasonably powerful but it doesn't have to be engineered by Nasa - i got mine on the Bay

your cam will need manual option settings - it musn't be fully automatic, you set it to 1/50th which is exactly 3 times as fast as 16.6fps, thus synchronisation.

will see if i can find some pictures of the transfer unit ;)

R
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

Well, I'm still not ready yet, it's a shame but I had to cope to coordinate with my work and family together like always bla bla bla :)
Now I planning to do it as quick as I can. I've changed my mine this place will be filmed:
http://www.gyermekvasut.hu/english/page.php?9

I think vimeo could be a good place for the final project. I'm not sure but a lot of video-sharing places just get the property rights of the footage when you signature (and honestly) never read the details of it.

Does youtube or vimeo gets the property rights of the footage when we uploawd there our final project?
"Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí."
("When he awoke, the dinosaur was still there.")

Augusto Monterroso, El Dinosaurio