Flatwood (Tabby Crabb) Passing?

This forum is dedicated to Filmshooting members and filmpeople who have passed away.
etimh

Flatwood (Tabby Crabb) Passing?

Post by etimh »

I feel absolutely sick that I am just now paying tribute to our friend Flatwood, who evidently passed away back in April. I didn't know about his passing and only found word about it when I saw on a different board that people were talking about losing him. If there was a notice here about it, I apologize, I missed the thread.

Flat's last post was December 10th, 2010, in the "Pass the Cart 2" thread where he wrote: "FYI, Im having some health issues that may well be the end of me soon. I'm not sure how much longer I can muster the strength to sign in. Take care, its been a lot of fun. Ive enjoyed participating in the discussions and the global film projects."

So I think some of us were aware that he was facing some health problems but you never know what the extent of those are. I just assumed he'd be back around as soon as he got better. Tabby was into a lot of different things--writing, photography, even magic, not to mention being a major player in the music business, so his passing was noted in a lot of different places. But I suspect that his interest in small-format filmmaking was probably kind of personal so maybe not many of his folk even knew what a big participant he was here. So I guess we got passed by on the notifications.

For those who never got to engage with him here or elsewhere, Flatwood was a really cool guy. He was a long-time member on this board and was always participating in a wide range of topics. He had been around for a while so he knew knew a whole lot, not just about the technical and creative side of filmmaking, but also about all kinds of things associated with music and producing. He was one of the fundamental participants and creative forces behind the "pass the cart" projects and worked on music and producing for the second version up to the end. I'll always treasure my t-shirt for the project that he had made up.

His personal site seems to still be up and untouched, but here is a tribute and memorial site that someone made--definitely worth visiting to read about the man and his life: http://wrongplacesaloon.com/memTabby.htm. A good guy that will surely be missed here and in the world.
TabbyCrabb.jpg
TabbyCrabb.jpg (151.81 KiB) Viewed 12487 times
Tabby Crabb, 1945-2011

Tim
CHAS

Re: Flatwood (Tabby Crabb) Passing?

Post by CHAS »

OH, man. That is so sad. I haven't been active on the board much lately (having a 22 month old can do that to you) but I will always remember what a cool guy Flatwood was. He had a load of positive comments and seemed like a real jack of all trades.
Mana

Post by Mana »

Aloha Flatwood!
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Oh my gosh! I do recall hearing about his health issues but I just assumed that was temporary and that he was going to get well again. I'll always remember this quote from Flatwood after James Brown had passed away:

"It's no wonder we are having tornadic winds today across the area. The god-father of soul has been set free."
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Oh, that was sad news...

Flatwood was a great guy and he was very active on this board for a long time. He took part in the Timelapse project (his film is the one were a guy and a dog drives around in the bush with a jeep) and several other projects.

You will be missed by many people Tabby! Rest in peace.

Thanks for letting us know Tim.

Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Here are all the 1691 posts from Flatwood:
search.php?author_id=309&sr=posts

and here is his Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/molldyer
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Mana

Post by Mana »

Flatwood has the Past the Cart 2 project on his Youtube, worth checking out. Actually Flatwoods segment in part 1 is awesome!
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Flatwood always seemed like a nice guy and I often thought of him as "Mr. America" - an icon.

Peace over his memory.

Shoot in Peace Flat.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
woods01

Post by woods01 »

I remember that post of his and feared the worst. Great contributer and pretty interesting life he led. A toast to Flatwood!
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

Very sad. He was a great musician and was very active and a key figure in our projects as a filmmaker. I think he was a very open and creative person too.

We miss you Tabby.

Alvaro
"Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí."
("When he awoke, the dinosaur was still there.")

Augusto Monterroso, El Dinosaurio
Angus

Post by Angus »

I remember that post of his, and it did seem ominous.

RIP Flatwood / Tabby Crabb.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

We all got a little wiser from his perspective. Thanks Flatwood!
Robert Hughes
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Sad news. Makes me think about the huge amounts of workload and manhours I put onto my shoulders... I think I will hire more staff and try to take more time off. Thanks for the heads up mr. Flatwood.
super8man

Post by super8man »

What a shame. I recall somehow seeing some of his musical work on a link in a long lost thread that he posted and was blown away by his ability. Thanks Tim for the reminder that all of us on here are human and that the time we give to each other is indeed precious.

RIP Flatwood.

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

I've found this article, with more details about Tabby's life:

http://americustimesrecorder.com/local/ ... cal-legend
"Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí."
("When he awoke, the dinosaur was still there.")

Augusto Monterroso, El Dinosaurio