Filmo 70A teardown

Technical talk about 8mm, Super8, 9.5mm, 16mm and 35mm ++ motion picture cameras.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Phil_F_NM

Filmo 70A teardown

Post by Phil_F_NM »

I was just given yet another Filmo today (my fourth now) and it's a 70A. Unfortunately, its missing the lens but I can find one, surely.
My question is, how do I remove the shutter from this one? The 70D and all its variants are easy but the 70A is a different beast. The governor is inside the shutter housing and this particular camera was frozen from 80 year old oil getting gummy. I put a few drops of new oil in and after a few dozen slow rotations, the shutter came to life. At 16fps it will run a full 1:06. That's longer than my fully restored DL and DR!
I want to get this one running for shooting at my job. I work aboard the USS New Jersey battleship museum and it would be great to shoot with a camera that could have seen service in WWII (yes I know the 70DA was out then but I'm giving my DA to a film student friend.)
Anyway, if anyone has any tips on getting into the shutter and further access to the clockwork for cleaning I would be most appreciative.
Thanks all!
Phil Forrest
Phil_F_NM

Re: Filmo 70A teardown

Post by Phil_F_NM »

Answered my own question. The fit between the chassis and the shutter plate are very tight. Add 80 years of aluminum corrosion which was not very much at all but enough to effectively weld the pieces together. I did a little gentle persuasion with a flat blade screwdiver and succeeded in separating the bits.

Phil Forrest

Sent from my LG-V530 using Tapatalk