16mm Foma developing?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mr_x

16mm Foma developing?

Post by mr_x »

Hi,

Suddenly forgot the finer points of Lomo developing :-o . It's been a while.

My Foma kit (1 Litre) will develop 30m of 16mm Foma film, but I have to split the film into two 50ft Lomo spirals. Hate doing this, get it slightly out and you have a massive tail wagging from one of the spirals. Just what you need in the darkroom.

Anyway, 1 litre of developer for one Lomo 50ft spiral. What about the other half? Is not the developer depleted over the first development, necessitating longer times for the second 50' please? :-?

Or do you just pour everything back into the Jobo bottles ready for the next Lomo?

mr_x

Re: 16mm Foma developing?

Post by mr_x »

At the considerable risk of being accused of having a dog & barking. :O3

Rooting through cupboards I discovered that my b/w cine film developing bottles are 2.5L so mystery solved, I have enough Foma chemicals for two 50ft Lomos, with chemical to spare ;)
aj

Post by aj »

Aren't the Foma kits 6x300ml?

To test what the minimum quantity is, just pour in water until the reel is completely under. Drain it and measure it.

The same for two spirals in one go.
Kind regards,

André
aj

Post by aj »

aj wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:36 pm Aren't the Foma kits 6x300ml?

To test what the minimum quantity is, just pour in water until the reel is completely under. Drain it and measure it.

The same for two spirals in one go.
8x300ml :)
Kind regards,

André
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

Thanks, I have approx 2.5 litre bottles marked up, so that I can pour neat chemicals in then top up with water. That does me for 2x Lomo tanks = 100' film. Image