Where can you buy positive 16mm color film?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

digicube

Where can you buy positive 16mm color film?

Post by digicube »

Modern 16mm negative color film looks milky when I capture with my Retroscan HD.
Last edited by digicube on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mana

Re: Where can you buy positive 16mm film?

Post by Mana »

Only B&W reversal right now (Tri X, Fomapan), until the new Ektachrome comes out. Thats if they make it in 16mm (fingers crossed)!
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
mr8mm

Re: Where can you buy positive 16mm color film?

Post by mr8mm »

In USA try Spectra Film and Video in North Hollywood. 818 762 4545. They may have Agfa 200D. In Europe try Wittner. He is the main source for Agfa 200D. I have not checked either website lately. Agfa AVIPHOT is the only currently available color reversal for 16mm. Don't hold your breathe on Kodak. Kodak has been promising color reversal for several years and have not produced anything yet. Kodak is not a film company but is a printer company and the printer business has not been so good lately.
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

Kodak has promised 16mm Ektachrome but minimum order is 10 rolls x 400'. Get your wallet ready!
As to the Super 8 version, they say they have sent test samples to labs, so it seems progress is being made.
At the moment old stock 100D and 64T can be found from online sellers, at a price.
doug

Post by doug »

Silverdream, where did you hear that about 400ft rolls of 16mm ? Great if that happens, always assuming they don't put the prices through the roof. 10 rolls isn't so bad, especially if two or more filmshooters get together. And no problem for dealers either.

Personally I'm still fine for E100D, though I can see the freezer rolls diminishing faster now :ymsigh:
Recently I got some back from Dwaynes and I was surprised to see how sharp and fine grained it was. If I didn't know I'd have almost thought it was Kodachrome. Very important I've found to get exposure spot on. Plus I post-flash it. However, maybe the stock itself varies in resolution from batch to batch ? Wonder if anyone has seen this.
Great if the new Ektachrome (assuming it happens :| ) is superior to the last.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
Will2

Post by Will2 »

16mm Ektachrome 100D is an amazing film, especially seen as it was meant too be...projected.

I still love Kodachrome more for it's "pastel-like" un-natural color and longevity, but Ektachrome is beautiful, sharp and has extremely accurate color rendition. Can't wait for the re-release.
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

ektachrome100d sharp? really, bloody awful stock, soft, dire colours, poor skin tone, 64t and the old e160 was better than 100d. If Kodak ever release 100d just hope its better than the previous offing. Kahl reversal stock ut18 is my choice over anything given kodachrome is a distant memory
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Wow, no accounting for taste, but that is one thing that has always been so unique about film = different stocks produce much different visual image characteristics. Really, one of the fun things about it all and the reason I bemoan the lack of choices now as compared to the past. I love E100D, but I also loved Kodachrome and the previous incarnations of Ektachrome and even the VNF color reversal especially in 16mm. I am with Will, projection on a nice large screen with a bright lamp and sharp lens really shows off the strength of film. Let's hope Kodak and Ferrania find success and their new stocks become available soon.
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

Doug,
A few paragraphs taken from an interview published on Supr8.TV, and it seems 10 x 100' is also OK.
Visit the website for the whole article! There's a lot of interesting articles on Jürgens Lossau's site.

Ektachrome comes in Super 8 and 16mm
Kodak explains details

Jürgen Lossau, April 2nd, 2018
It’s spring time and the Super 8 community is waiting for the new Ektachrome. We asked KODAK for a short update of their progress on bringing back Ektachrome film. super8.tv spoke to Diane Carroll-Yacoby, Commercialization Manager at Kodak, Consumer and Film Division (CFD). She is the lead for the new Ektachrome.

Diane Carroll-Yacoby, Kodak
How about the progress concerning the preparations of the EKTACHROME Super 8 film?
KODAK is making great progress in bringing back EKTACHROME in 2018! We’ve made several test coatings – re-vamped our test processes, and are expecting to conduct targeted Customer Assessments in the coming months – before the summer season.

Any further details that might be of interest concerning EKTACHROME?
KODAK will be selling EKTACHROME in the popular Super 8 cartridges – and also in 16mm 100 foot spools and 400’ rolls. The 16mm items will be offered as “Make to Order” and will have a few week leadtime, while the Super 8 Cartridges will be available as stocked items. The minimum order quantity for the 16mm film is 10 rolls (1/2 case) for either the 400’ or 100’ rolls. Pricing is still being determined for the Ektachrome family of products.

https://www.super8.tv/en/ektachrome-wil ... -and-16mm/
Last edited by Silverdream on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

Cineandy,
I've seen great looking 100D transfers, so can't be the film. Probably you had bad processing or transferring.
100D looks like a modern film and in that regard the 64T did look a bit more like vintage film.
Of course Kodachrome has that vintage look which is really nice.
My main complaint with the current films is the lack of variety. Now that the film stock looks so real, it's not much good if you're wanting a nostalgia hit.
The solution is probably to experiment with cross processing to get some uniqueness back into the images.
doug

Post by doug »

Silverdream that does sound good :)
And she says 100ft spools too ! Depending as always on the price, I may well go for the 100ft option. In the past there wasn't too much difference between buying a 400ft roll and 4x 100ft rolls when you consider the fact of potentially another metre or two of shooting material plus receiving the handy metal spools.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

Silverdream, I've used miles of kodachrome film, mainly 16mm k25, my subject matter at one time was transport, trains, planes (concorde) and even the old London buses before they were phased out. Thus a lot of footage was at a distance, 100d simply had a lack of resolving power on a distance object, where the same image would be pin sharp on k25. All the footage was and till this day is projected, exposed std 8, DS8 and 16mm 100d, hated every frame taken with the stock, really poor colour accuracy and very soft unless the subject is/was a big close up... That said I have seen 16mm 100d transferred and looked ok.
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

K25 was an exceptionally sharp film. I remember seeing my fathers K25 Standard 8 films and they seemed sharper than his later K40 Super 8 films. He used good cameras for both formats.
Cineandy, did you also use K40 in your 16mm camera and if so how did it compare to the K25?
doug

Post by doug »

Kodachrome 25 wonderful stuff :ymhug:
I always slightly regret not using it more, instead of K40. When I look at my old 16mm films, even Agfa was very sharp and fine grained. 16asa I think. And these were the days when fast lenses were hard to obtain. It does seem odd that when most shooting by folks is done outdoors, manufacturers like Kodak insist on giving us 100asa film that is harder to make as sharp. It's resolution I mean.
I would much prefer a slower Ektachrome film. And for Bolex users easier to view the image.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

[quote=Silverdream post_id=239653 time=1528416683 user_id=12618]
K25 was an exceptionally sharp film. I remember seeing my fathers K25 Standard 8 films and they seemed sharper than his later K40 Super 8 films. He used good cameras for both formats.
Cineandy, did you also use K40 in your 16mm camera and if so how did it compare to the K25?
[/quote]

to my eyes, 16mm k40 was not as sharp as k25, also k40 colours were more pastel like compared to k25. Exposed k25 std 8mm via leicina 8s, images are much sharper than nearly all my high end s8 cameras. Probably the sharpest super 8 k40 images i've acheived were through a zeiss moviflex with 9-36 sonnar lens.