The return of Ektachrome - CES 2017

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Will2

Re: The return of Ektachrome - CES 2017

Post by Will2 »

Last price I paid for 100D 100' rolls was about $45.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Kodak has gotten very good at teasing. Almost like Blackmagic.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Very interesting, shows how difficult it is to bring about a new emulsion in today's environment. No suppliers of needed chemicals is a real shocker, but Kodak, like Ferrania, are persevering in their efforts. I wish them well. I am a very big fan of the different Ektachrome emulsions over the years and would be very excited to see what they can come up with in the way of what they see as an improvement. The old E100D would be great even without any tweaks. One thought as to a silver lining (pun intended), the efforts to take the making of chemicals in-house might be an avenue for the reintroduction of Kodachrome... heh, I can dream can't I ?
Will2

Post by Will2 »

They're missing a window here for summer...that's the best time for reversal film sales. Bet we're at least 9 months away still.
Phil_F_NM

Post by Phil_F_NM »

Will2 wrote:They're missing a window here for summer...that's the best time for reversal film sales. Bet we're at least 9 months away still.
Yeah, summer 2019...

Phil Forrest
BAC

Post by BAC »

Good article on the manufacturing of the new Ektachrome: https://www.popsci.com/inside-kodak-fac ... os#page-15

Another recent article: https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/0 ... ter-scans/

Kodak posted this on Facebook a few days ago:
Our development team has been making some great progress over the last few months with the Ektachrome update. We want to share a few photos which were shot on Ektachrome film made on our pilot-scale equipment. Hopefully you like them as much as we do! Be sure to like and follow us for more Ektachrome announcements.
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

Just wondering about pricing of this elusive new Ektachrome 100D.
How much would you like to pay?
I've heard some people thinking that this reversal film should be cheaper than their negative. Wishful thinking in my opinion. I think it will be dearer than Vision stock. I'll predict US $35 per Super 8 cartridge.
What's the most you'd pay?
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

I suspect that it will be the same price as the other Super8 stocks. Kodak recently upped the price of Tri-X to match the Vision3 stocks, which to me indicates that they're looking to simplify pricing.
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

Traditionally reversal film has been more expensive than negative film. Negative film is a simpler film. Reversal film is effectively a negative and positive film layered on top of each other.
Although Tri-X is a reversal film being black and white means it only has 2 active layers compared to negatives 3 active layers with colour couplers. Colour reversal needs 6 active layers with colour couplers making it more complex and hence more expensive. There are additional layers in these different films but just keeping it to the basics for an easy comparison.
Thinking about it, it wouldn't surprise me if the new Ektachrome is priced at US $40 a Super 8 cartridge.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Spoke with Kodak today-July 16. Was told by rep that Kodak hopes to have Ektachrome out this winter. Also received an email from Ferraina about their color reversal. So, they are still alive and working on producing a color(colour) reversal. No release date given. Check website for more info.
aj

Post by aj »

Silverdream wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:34 pm Traditionally reversal film has been more expensive than negative film. Negative film is a simpler film. Reversal film is effectively a negative and positive film layered on top of each other.
Although Tri-X is a reversal film being black and white means it only has 2 active layers compared to negatives 3 active layers with colour couplers. Colour reversal needs 6 active layers with colour couplers making it more complex and hence more expensive. There are additional layers in these different films but just keeping it to the basics for an easy comparison.
Thinking about it, it wouldn't surprise me if the new Ektachrome is priced at US $40 a Super 8 cartridge.
I don't think that is how reversal film works. The reversal of Tri-X and BW is just in the emulsion. Any BW film can be reversed. Colour positive is just processing the three emulsions and activating the colour couplers.
Kind regards,

André
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Same problem with Ektachrome as with the Super8 camera, they announce it too early, people get tired of waiting and jump off the wagon. Too bad they're not releasing anything before the winter (according to post above). 2 years after their announcement. I wonder if it will ever be released, but I hope it will. :)
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

aj,
Sorry for my misinformation about the film layers and thankyou for correcting me.
It has been a long time since I read about how film is made and for some reason I made a mistake. I may have been thinking of the negative to print process and the illustrations used to explain it.
As you say, one can reverse any B/W film, although I notice both B/W negative and B/W reversal types of film are available, so there must be some kind of difference between them.
I suppose it would be possible to reverse colour negative film, but perhaps that would result in negative colours on a positive image.
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

Andreas Wideroe,
It's no problem if Kodak release the film in winter for me. I'm on the other side of the world and will it will be summer. :ymapplause:
So Kodak, don't be shy. Let us show the world what 100D looks like under the bright Australian sun.