Reloading single-8 carts with super-8

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

aj

Re: Reloading single-8 carts with super-8

Post by aj »

avortex wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:45 am
aj wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:40 am Apart from abandoning the super8data website the little **** also seems to have deleted his videos. Some contributor.
If I remember rightly, super8data didn't have any videos uploaded, just info and pictures. The video of the single-8 recharger machine was made by the man who built it and is not related to Carles Pradera, the creator of the super8data webpage.

By the way, Carles is a very good friend of mine (in real life, not a virtual one). He spent some money and a lot of his free time doing all the investigation and keeping it alive during several years till he moved to other interests. I can only congratulate him for all that work.
If you want to blame anyone, please refer to Wittner who now owns the domain and the content.
Wittner transfered the domainname when it was abandonded.
It is a misstatement to think or declare that the content went along.
Your friend lost the super8data because he didn't keep a copy on a computer under his control
when he abandonded the account of the hosting provider.
Wittner is not to blame. Saying otherwise is just slander.
Kind regards,

André
aj

Post by aj »

Arislan wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:25 am
avortex wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:36 am This machine was made as a unique model. The author is not building this kind of instruments anymore. You can make something similar if you buy a Fujica P2 and adjust the motor to run in backwards. It's really a great help when recharging Single-8 cartridges :)
Is that just a matter of putting the batteries in backwards? How do I revert the P2 motor? I guess I'll need to buy a really trashed out one, the only P2 I own has never been used since purchased. Got it last month.

Actually I'd need to find a source of bulk S8.

I like the stuff from Retro-8 but it comes up to a lot of money.
All bulk S8 has gone through the roof. Best price is a Fomapan R100 in DS8. Easy to use 30 feet rolls or the 100 feet for ultimate low price. It would make 6x 10 meter rolls.

You would need to wind back in the storage section. Reversing the wind-up motor is not going to do that :)
Kind regards,

André
avortex

Post by avortex »

aj wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:26 am Wittner transfered the domainname when it was abandonded.
It is a misstatement to think or declare that the content went along.
Your friend lost the super8data because he didn't keep a copy on a computer under his control
when he abandonded the account of the hosting provider.
Wittner is not to blame. Saying otherwise is just slander.
My friend never lost the data (he's got a copy of everything), and all the content went to Wittner. This was explained to me by Carles in person.
I just clarified this because you were slandering him.
By the way, it's normal that Wittner prefers to use the old adress for promoting their products, but don't blame Carles for that.
Marc
aj

Post by aj »

If Charles still has the original files he could just share them with filmshooting or filmkorn
who likely will host it for the love of it. How difficult could it be to have the files put
on a USB stick or to have them uploaded to dropbox or something :)

Rather than have other people spend their time on restoring from archive.org.

Abandoning such a domainname to save $15 per year is plain stupid. Better had been to dress up the lot
and earn a few hundreds per year doing so.
Kind regards,

André
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

I have 4(four) empty Fuji single 8 cartridges. I do not wish to toss into trash. If someone would like these empty Fuji single 8 carts for reloading I would be happy to send to them.--
Static 8

Post by Static 8 »

If the carts are still available I'll take 'em. For double exposures.