THE NIKON R10/8 DOUBLE REGISTRATION S8 CAMERA

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

THE NIKON R10/8 DOUBLE REGISTRATION S8 CAMERA

Post by S8 Booster »

Pedro mentioned that this camera had a DR system during the bad cart problems which I came to remember and it was confirmed at a German S8 site I found so recently I bought a Nikon R10 because I like the camera and it use the double registration system.

The main reason to buy it now is that I bought 3 rolls of the Fuji Provia S8 cartridges of which the results from others reported horrible jitter. I did not want to waste these carts so I went for the Nikon. Since it is reported that Kodak turns to Polyester base film like this Fuji within 3 years it might be a good option anyway. The Polyester base film is reported to be 20-30% brighter than the Acteate.

In addition to this some of the PRO8 films I shot had horrible jitter too. It seemed like the film "backfires" after the advance claw release the film.
The jitter seem mainly due to the different film base and secondary to the cart/pressureplate design.

Others using the Nikon "R"s reports perfect results with PRO8MM neg films and transfer.

Here is a picture of the film port.

Advance claw left (top), stop pin right, bottom (Combined stop pin/backwards filming claw)

Nikon R: http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/society ... ns19_e.htm

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

The original Kodak cart is designed for Kodachrome stock and will show not perfect jitter results with any other stock loaded. The system pressure-plate - film chanel - friction adjustment is adjusted very sensible to Kodachrome, it´s thickness and friction properties. Even the VNF stock may show significant jitter in some cameras (not in good adjusted Beaulieu), thats why the additional pressure plate is beeing published by Andec who basicly makes his business processing not Kodachrome film stock.
A strong claw drive and a strong pressure and friction adjustment in the camera may help a lot, too. Theoretically, the stop claw system as the Nikon seems to use, should give perfect results!
Pedro

Post by Guest »

you mention kodak is to go over to polyester base filmstock..IS THIS THE END OF KODACHROME????????????
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Anonymous wrote:you mention kodak is to go over to polyester base filmstock..IS THIS THE END OF KODACHROME????????????
I would not worry too much.
I see good intentions with Kodak (like V2/500T).
I am confident they will not let us down either by continuing the K40 or come up with something new in improved carts!

Well, I hope anyway.

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

Pedro wrote:The original Kodak cart is designed for Kodachrome stock and will show not perfect jitter results with any other stock loaded. The system pressure-plate - film chanel - friction adjustment is adjusted very sensible to Kodachrome, it´s thickness and friction properties. Even the VNF stock may show significant jitter in some cameras (not in good adjusted Beaulieu), thats why the additional pressure plate is beeing published by Andec who basicly makes his business processing not Kodachrome film stock.
A strong claw drive and a strong pressure and friction adjustment in the camera may help a lot, too. Theoretically, the stop claw system as the Nikon seems to use, should give perfect results!
Pedro
Your information is in acordance with my results.

From my recent tests of neg film I would say that the 50D and 250D is not particulary good with my cam without the pressure plate. Not only jitter but I can see the film curl and bend and jerk all over (50D) in some parts like one side curl and one beeing straight. Very obviously a job for the pressureplate.

It might also improve or solve the jitter problem because it may apply more brake force on the film keeping it in place after the advancement claw releases the film

My experiences with the different film were:

v200T - least jitter - quite good.
V500T - next best - some jitter
V250D - noticable jitter in some parts
50D - very bad jitter in some parts

R
erkanumut

Re: THE NIKON R10/8 DOUBLE REGISTRATION S8 CAMERA

Post by erkanumut »

Double registration or double claw system is wrong usage for Nikon R8/10. I have an R10.
The upper acts as pull-down claw while the lower as registration pin. This is designed to overcome the Super 8 cartridge limitation for image steadiness (plastic pressure pad located in the cartridge).
If you want to have projected your picture on a movie theater screen, this could be very useful, otherwise a marketing thing.
You cannot surprise seeing that thousands of other cameras were not used that system except the professional motion-picture cameras.
aj

Post by aj »

An 2002 thread and still people don't understand how things work :)

The R10/R8 have one claw to advance the film and there are two stop-pins which alternately are switched in for forward or reverse direction. The stop-pin has a ramp-shape and moves like a wood-pecker. The stop-pin hammers onto the plate through the holes and not is not fully inserted as a registration-pin. The sping-loaded stop-pin forms a treshold which ensures that the film will only move when the claw actuates it. It will not not move on the pull of the film only.
Kind regards,

André
erkanumut

Post by erkanumut »

aj wrote:An 2002 thread and still people don't understand how things work :)

The R10/R8 have one claw to advance the film and there are two stop-pins which alternately are switched in for forward or reverse direction. The stop-pin has a ramp-shape and moves like a wood-pecker. The stop-pin hammers onto the plate through the holes and not is not fully inserted as a registration-pin. The sping-loaded stop-pin forms a treshold which ensures that the film will only move when the claw actuates it. It will not not move on the pull of the film only.
Today, I checked it with the film.
André is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!
Thank you very much for ending this topic!
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

This topic was discussed and clarified to death in another thread years way back.

Shoot.....film.......