The Supermate Matte Box for the Supermag 400.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

supermag400_inventor

The Supermate Matte Box for the Supermag 400.

Post by supermag400_inventor »

I've just completed the new matte box called the Supermate. Check it out on my site. I was going to put a photo on here, but can't seem to figure out how to do it.

http://www.supermag400.com

Dave
reflex

Post by reflex »

Here it is...

Scotness

Re: The Supermate Matte Box for the Supermag 400.

Post by Scotness »

supermag400_inventor wrote:I was going to put a photo on here, but can't seem to figure out how to do it.

http://www.supermag400.com

Dave
Instructions on this are here

The matte box looks good - but I note on your page you say
a "New" Supermate Lens Hood assembly
So just wondering does that mean it's a totally new one or a recondtioned one?

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
supermag400_inventor

Outstanding! ... Thank you Reflex.

Your a prince of a guy.

Hope you all like the photo.

Dave Sipmann
Inventor of the Supermag 400
supermag400_inventor

These are my design and are going to be made by my grubby little hands. They will be brand spanking new.

I figure them to sell for about $40.00

Dave
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

What is the point of a matte-box if it doesn't have trys for mattes??

It needs at least two stages and at least one of those has to rotate. An eyebrow would be nice too. If it doesn't have stages then it is simply a sunshade or helping with your inferiority complex.

Matte Boxes aren't cheap...I had one that cost 2500USD then that got destroyed and I got a smokin' deal on a new one for 1200USD. If I were to buy a box just for Super8 I could get a old Arri 3x3 for peanuts.

Good Luck
supermag400_inventor

Come on! .... lets be realistic fella. In this digital age, what does anyone need with a matte box to begin with. All the matte box effects can be done better and easier in the computer during editing. Matte boxes are all about ego, really.

Professional film makers stopped using matte boxes in the 60's. Now, most of them are simply lens shades.

However, the Supermate will have a few inserts to create a few simple in camera effects. Nothing like the expensive $2500 boxes you say you own. But then again, if you can afford that kind of equipment and are a true professional film maker, perhaps you should be using 16 or 35 mm.

Your right about one thing. It's all about ego. After all, REAL professional film makers don't mess around with small gauge film like super 8. They use 35 or 16mm or HD video. The pro's can afford to pay for the good stuff to support their ego's. We fans of super 8 don't always have that luxury.

Lets face facts, my friends. Our only reason for playing around with super 8 is we want to be like the big boys in Hollywood with their expensive film making tools, which we as average Joes can't afford nor have the expertise to use.

Super 8 is all about ego. But there is nothing wrong with that. Building ego's is what having hobbies are all about. I've loved super 8 from when I was a teenager in the 70's, growing up in Michigan. Not what you would call the film making captiol of the world. I new I'd never be a professional film maker. But that didn't matter. It was my hobby and it was fun.

I still love it, and still dream. That is why I built the Supermag to begin with. To dream and do nothing is to simply dreaming. To dream up ideas and act on that dream is called inventing. That's why I built the Supermag and now the Supermate box. It's all about supporting my ego and yours.

We as Super 8 enthusiaists need to support our dreams and our egos. Otherwise, we are just like all the other plain ordinary Joe Blows on the streets.

No the Supermate isn't a big expensive professional matte box costing thousands of dollars. But why...lord why..would you spend that kind of cash on Super 8 if you want to make films anyway. You could better spend it on a really good professional 16 mm camera if your serious about film making.

Super 8 is the average guy's answer to film making. I'm just trying to help keep the dream alive.

Dave Sipmann
Inventor of the Supermag 400
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dave--

We are not talking about stupid Key-Hole's and Binocular mattes--We are talking about Filter trays.

My mattebox goes on my Aaton and I use it all the time to hold filters. I have used it for hard-fronts when using primes. I have thought about using it with my Beaulieu so I can use my Grads. But the pulling of the handgrip stopped me.

To me it seems like the mattebox you are making isn't quite there. Lenses on Super8 cameras don't have Internal-Focus so how are you going to work that out?? Will I have to focus then set the mattebox in place?? What if I want to rack focus?? Will you supply different doughnuts to accomodate different cameras??

If you are saying it is pretty much just a shade then why should I buy yours over a screw on shade for half the price??

Good Luck
mattias

Post by mattias »

i agree with nigel. i'd settle for a cokin holder or similar though. you really should add a mount for that. glueing a step up ring to the back and screw it in should work well enough. sure, i could do this myself, but it would make a better product if it was already in place.

/matt
supermag400_inventor

Those are all great suggestions fellas! ... Just remember, this is just a prototype. I haven't got it finished yet. I'm still working on putting the thing together. A filter slot will be the first thing. Then a lens ring and trays for the front of the box. Also, I'm putting French doors on it. Those I'm working on right now. This is just a rough draft, you might say. It will take a bit of work to get it all done. Hopefully, I will be able to keep the costs down to make them far less expensive than the pro versions. That's my goal. I'm just one guy with a small work shop. But I try to do what I can to make things that will work and will cost less.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dave--

That is what I am saying...

For 200 bucks I could buy an old Arri MatteBox that has two trays for filters a bellows and doughnuts and I am set.

To me it is the Law of Diminishing Returns. Right now I have screw on 72mm filters for my Beaulieu. I can keep the lens hood on for glare and they allow me to focus as I please. I can't use my 4x4 grads but oh well...I couldn't with your set-up.

With your MatteBox I have to focus then slide it back. It sits on a clumsy baseplate that doesn't look like it set to industry standards so I can put it on my tripod.

The mag is a quirky little gadget that fills some sort of niche. But a mattebox is different--Chrosziel, Arri, SG, and a slew of others make them that take industry filters that fit onto industry rods and use industry baseplates which make things easy to rent or buy.

All the best to you and good luck.
threeinv

Post by threeinv »

Cost issues aside, you might consider a design where the mattebox is hinged on one side, allowing you to swing it away while focusing or to access/clean the front lens element quickly.

--Derrick
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

Ha, looks cool, tho people's suggestions for improvement seem good...

I watched Stalker last night, and now I really want to get a Supermag and film long, slow Tarkofsky-esque takes! :D But can't afford one at present.... :cry: ahh well, some day...
sarmoti

Post by sarmoti »

Dave,

I'd just be happy if you sold custom rods with a tripod plate that would attach to matte boxes already in the market. I have a collection of 4x4 filters which I would consider using with S8.

If you do market the matte box please give a 4x4 holder a serious thought. A rotating holder plus 1 or 2 fixed slots are ideal. A hinged flag on the top would help to cut flares as well. Perhaps you should offer the option.

I also want to give you my opinion regarding your view on people using S8. Some of us are enthusiasts or low budget filmmakers and some of us are professionals that use S8 alongside video or larger format film for it's look. I don't know about you guys but with negs, transfer and all I actually spend just about as much shooting on S8 as I do on S16mm.

Also, regarding Nigel's concern with lenses that aren't IF. The purpose of the rods is to support and isolate the Matte Box so it does not come in contact with the actual front element/ring of the lens.

Oh and Dave, I'd like to know if you machine these things yourself because I'd like a good way to mount a video assist to my camera that doesn't involve gaff tape. Perhaps a vertical rod at the back of the tripod plate that holds the rods and matte box..
/Matthew Greene/
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Sarmoti--

That is exactly what I was getting at...But by the time Dave makes a Mattebox that takes 4x4 filters with at least 1 rotating tray(Mine has two) plus and eyebrow I may as well get a brand I can trust.

The MB I use on my Aaton is a wonderful unit--Two rotating trays, Eyebrow, the ability to use non-IF lenses with a special doughnut. But, I paid 1200 bucks and that was a steal.

I do use S8 as an accent to S16 and 35. Yet, this MB seems like it is thrown together as an after thought to look cool and serve no function.

A good MB for S8 work that takes industry standard filters, mattes and rods can be found on eBay for 200 bucks. Any Arri MB that takes 3x3 filters would be more than enough and they were pretty much standard with every damn Arri S that rolled out of Munich.

Good Luck