ruined film from k40 mailer?!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Justin Lovell

ruined film from k40 mailer?!

Post by Justin Lovell »

hey,

sent out my film through shoppers drug mart in toronto using the k40 mailer, and the 2 rolls i got back both had this problem.

the last 6-8 feet had punctures in the centre of the frame about every foot or so. The film wasn't completely punctured, but when watching it through the projector, it looked like the film kept going out of focus.

The best example of what it looked like is as if someone tried to poke a pen through your film, but didn't quite puncture the film, just dented it. and did it once every foot or so on the last 6-8 feet.

what's the deal? should i be taking this up with KODAK?

thanks,

jusetan
JCook

Post by JCook »

Hmmmm, I've written in several threads here on the forum my experiences with focus breathing coming and going torwards the ends of my 50ft K40 films. I thought someting was amiss with my Canon 1014XL-S camera. I even bought a pressure plate and still have breathing problems at the ends of the reels.

I never thought to unroll and look at the frames for any deformations, I'll check it out this weekend. Boy will I feel stoooopid if the film is deformed after having spent big bucks on the pressure plate. :roll:

Regards, John
thebrowniecameraguy

Post by thebrowniecameraguy »

I have had this happen to some undeveloped film before, but the only way I found that out was to open the film chamber door.

What I saw was that the film had missed the perofated sproket wheel that pulls the film to the gate.

What had happened is the film slid up the wheel and the sprokets damaged the middle of the film.

But that is the only reason I know of.

Cheers,
Jordan

Find some outdated film, best for super 8 is Kodachrome II which cant be developed through standard labs anymore.

Mark the begining of the film in the cartridge, run the camera and then remove the complete cartridge then rip the film out of the cartridge and check it for funky sproket marks. (Dont film anything of value, Kodachrome II cant be developed conventionally anymore)