Film Direct to DVD Bad....

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Alex

Film Direct to DVD Bad....

Post by Alex »

I wonder if this person posts here?

http://film-to-video.com/tutorial.html
unxetas

Post by unxetas »

lol.. you can tell he was kinda angry when he wrote that!

his transfers should be pretty darn close to perfect..
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

unxetas wrote:
You are joking, right?
mattias

Post by mattias »

if an old lady started crying and told me that she had thrown away her film after transferring to dvd i'd laugh right at her and tell her she got what was coming to her. what a complete moron. don't blame dvd, blame the complete ignorance to pretty much everything except television and fast food that seems to be the norm for 99% of all people today.

/the elitist again
Santo

Post by Santo »

:lol: Forgot all about that one! That was the first site I clicked on that fateful afternoon it dawned on me that I might rediscover super 8 as a filmmaking medium.

I wish he would be a member of this site. His posts would rival Eric Martin Jarvies.

re: Mattais the elitist. I think anybody who pays their dues in a fucking video store for a few years (like I did) suffering with John Q. Public up close and personal, can have nothing but contempt for such stupid people. If only more stupid people would get what's coming to them, rather than punish thinking people directly and indirectly by their dim-witted actions -- as usually happens. My ridiculous car insurance bill is sitting beside me as I write this.
mattias

Post by mattias »

Santo wrote:anybody who pays their dues in a fucking video store for a few years (like I did)
..and i'm currently doing. luckily i get to make a film once in a while. :-)

/matt
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

I would say don´t blame the DVD, blame the idiots for not making a copy of the DVD and storing the backup in a safe place.

A safety backup is necessary if you don´t want to risk losing everything, and store this backup anywhere but home (preferrably in a safe deposit box in a bank or something).

If your house would burn of some other disaster would occur you still have your backup safe and can make new copies without any loss in quality.

Kent Kumpula - Uppsala BildTeknik AB
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

I just find it odd that such great concern is posted on the website about the danger of DVD masters when the sample photo showing the "split screen" is so inferior that any degradation of quality induced by the DVD process would hardly be noticable by comparison. While I agree that one should avoid a DVD master, if the split screen sample is representative of the transfer being offered, then a DVD of that transfer is not going to be the weak link in the chain.

Santos wrote:
I wish he would be a member of this site. His posts would rival Eric Martin Jarvies.
Yes, the huge run-on diatribe trying to convince people that the telecine process being used is better than the image representing the process is just plain silly. For someone that is supposedly an expert on telecine and associated technology (as he claims), I find the inability to post a single decent sample image to be very telling. For me to elaborate more would simply be unkind.......

Roger
http://www.moviestuff.tv
Uppsala BildTeknik

I bet his "Virgin Masters" are videotaped off his bathroom wall or something, he sure writes a lot of crap.

Kent Kumpula
unxetas

Post by unxetas »

MovieStuff wrote:
unxetas wrote:
You are joking, right?
right :P

I just thought if someone has the will to write as much as he did (I only read a small part of it, but browsing through, did everyone else notice the repetition? lol) I think there could only be 2 reasons.. he either sucks at transfering and wants to make business out of selling miniDV masters or he's really good at what he does and finds it heartbreaking to see the awful job everyone else is doing... hum.. right :)

ps: just noticed my post count.. couldn't help it - > 99 red balloons floating in the summer sky.. 8)
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:I bet his "Virgin Masters" are videotaped off his bathroom wall or something, he sure writes a lot of crap.

Kent Kumpula
Roger would know if he sold him a sniper. He also guages his Guru status against "transfer mills". no big claim.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

T-Scan wrote:
Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:I bet his "Virgin Masters" are videotaped off his bathroom wall or something, he sure writes a lot of crap.

Kent Kumpula
Roger would know if he sold him a sniper. He also guages his Guru status against "transfer mills". no big claim.
He has none of my equipment.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I had at one time thought that a DVD master would be a good thing to have as a backup to my film originals. I now make a mini DV tape transfer backup because it is not as highly compressed as the images on a DVD and you can easily load it into any computer editing program. Any thought on this, or am I wrong and there are some benefits to DVD that I am unaware of?

David M. Leugers
Uppsala BildTeknik

Well you don´t have to compress the film to mpeg just to put it on a DVD, you can store the films as AVI files.

The DVDs are much better for long term storage than the magnetic miniDV tapes.

Kent Kumpula
Santo

Post by Santo »

MovieStuff wrote:
T-Scan wrote:

Kent Kumpula
He has none of my equipment.

Wasn't going to post on this, but can't resist putting this up. I went back to that site again and started laughing. Yeah, I would never have guessed "workprinter" -- this looks more like a million dollar Spirit or Shadow job. 8O

It's amazing isn't it? "On the left is the unenhanced frame, on the right is the enhanced frame". I'd bet I could film with an old VHS camera off my rotten $5 Baia "reviewer" and digitize some stills and beat this. Who would ever send their films to this guy? Oh, yeah, the lady who threw out her old films after a transfer...