projection-which to buy..

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Justin Lovell

projection-which to buy..

Post by Justin Lovell »

i'm looking at getting a sankyo 700 to project my own films at home, i'd also like to use it for telecine transfers, pending the quality of the projection (and flicker issues).

i can get one for about $175 including shipping, and i would like to know if it'd be worth the investment, or if i should spend the extra 200-300 dollars and get a better grade of projector.

..the sankyo 700 has a 100W bulb. but doesn't do stereo sound (if i was to be buying films with sound.. which i'm still looking for a cheap place to get them...)

thanks!

jusetan
super8man

Post by super8man »

If you can do without sound entirely, I would highly recommend the Bolex 18-5 series of super 8 (be careful there are regular 8 varieties too - not sure if they were dual 8 too). They are positively gentle on your film and run like clockwork.

As for sound, I use a B&H filmosound 1744 os something sound projector - again, ease on film is of utmost importance. I have seen the 700 Sankyo but can offer no advice on its smoothness/gentleness on film.

Wattage only matters if you are in rooms larger than average. Yes you get a brighter picture with more wattage but it also affects film life if you are constantly showing movies.

Also, higher wattage is bad for film transfers...you want a low wattage unit to tone down the contrast and hot spots.

Personally, I use a workprinter for xfers but that is a $1400 endeavour.

m
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
pelluet

Post by pelluet »

I have a Sankyo 700 [and a 702 and a couple of 800s], the entire Sankyo range were under rated and this has proved a good thing in some respects as they can be bought for very good prices.

Sankyos have very good optics, useful features, they are well engineered and are very kind to films.

I project movies with both Sankyos' and Elmos' and can say that I have never had a Sankyo scratch a film, Elmos' however, whilst being great projectors are susceptible to wear in the green plastic guides which can lead to scratching :( .

Mike
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

I picked up a Minolta 6000 sound projector yesterday from a thrift shop.. $65. cleaned it, oiled up the gears inside and it purs very nice. throws a huge bright image. its my first and only projector that does 24fps. I am also very tempted to snag this sweet 16mm projector they have for $50. don't recall what brand, but its clean.. the store owner had it loaded and running yesterday.. it purs and projects beautufully. the sound does not work on it. i would get it if i knew the future of me shooting 16mm reversals.