Braun Nizo s56

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Jerseyfilm 8

Braun Nizo s56

Post by Jerseyfilm 8 »

Can anyone tell me the filter thread size of this camera, plus does anyone have any comments on this model, good or bad, thanks Frank...
nik-super8

Braun Nizo S 56

Post by nik-super8 »

Hello Frank,

The filter thread size of a Nizo S 56 is 49 mm.
I bought a used Nizo S 56 about 2 years ago at eBay. I bought it because I don`t need the features of a S 800 (later 801) or the always hyped Professional. (They have automatic lap dissolve and a 1000 Hz pilot tone impulse generator and the huge lens, etc. )
The lens is a Schneider, Kreuznach Variogon 1:1.8 7-56 mm.
The camera has automatic and manual exposure control. It also features a timer with a variable range of intervals. The speeds are single frame, 18 fps, 24 fps and 54 fps.
The camera is not to heavy. Something which should be mentioned is the viewfinder with the control needle for the aperture (1.8-22 f-stop). This Nizo´s focussing screen and the f-stop control display in the viewfinder are not on the same level. This was improved in the later following model S 561. It is sometimes a little bit difficult to fix the image in the viewfinder and to see what f-stop is used for the shot. You have to train your eye a bit.
The motor zoom has two different speeds. The camera uses 6 AA batteries in the characteristic nizo battery box. You also need 2 PX-13 cells for the exposure meter.
You can fade in or stop down but the camera has no automatic lap dissolve. You can leave the shutter half closed by pulling down the shutter lever in the middle position. This will increase the shutter speed per frame and will open the lens in the auto exposure mode +1 f-stop.
Be careful with the light meter when you buy a used Nizo. This camera uses a CdS-sensor like all the others of the Nizo S-series. That means afer 30 years they often do not work correctly and the images are too bright or too dark. My S 56 needed a new CdS-sensor and new main power supply contacts. Fortunately service for this camera is no problem here in Germany.
You can distinguish earlier and later models of the S 56 by the brand lable on the front of the camera. If the label "S 56" is a very small one mounted under the lens it is an earlier type. If the camera has the big lable "Nizo S 56" on top above the lens it is a later version.
I think the Nizo S 56 is a good robust allround camera with all basic features.
And the camera still looks very noble with the aluminium body in the timless Braun design.

Niklas
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

I own this particular camera among my collection of super 8's. This is one of my best cameras, a real workhorse, with quite alot of features and a pretty decent lens for what little amount of money one can buy these for.
The filter thread size for this camera is 49mm.

Simon :idea:
Jerseyfilm 8

Post by Jerseyfilm 8 »

Thank you to both replies, I will wait for the camera to arrive, and see if it is all O.K. it looks like an earlier model with small label under lens, I am mostly concerned with the quality of the lens, as I shoot Anamorphic, using a Kowa PA35 lens, and wanted a smallish front lens camera to be able to attach my Kowa, I normally use a Canon 1014e, if the camera has problems I would like to know your contacts in Germany, as I am in Jersey, Channel Islands, it is not too far away..