Daylight spool. "Load in TOTAL darkness"

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jessh

Daylight spool. "Load in TOTAL darkness"

Post by jessh »

I just got a 100' roll of 16mm Tri-X film and noticed that it says "Load in total darkness" on it. So is there any reason that I can't load it into my new B&H Filmo like its manual describes? Do they still provide extra film to be used as leader on both ends for loading and unloading without a changing bag?

I assume that Kodak is just trying to cover their ass. I can see total darkness being necessary for faster speed films (is 200asa included?) but Plus-X and EXR 50D also said this.
christoph

Re: Daylight spool. "Load in TOTAL darkness"

Post by christoph »

jessh wrote:I just got a 100' roll of 16mm Tri-X film and noticed that it says "Load in total darkness" on it. So is there any reason that I can't load it into my new B&H Filmo like its manual describes? Do they still provide extra film to be used as leader on both ends for loading and unloading without a changing bag?
well, you will loose some film in on the beginning if you load it under normal light... and i would try to avoid loading it under bright sunlight.. but other than that, there's no problem loading the daylight spools in ... uh... daylight ;)

++ christoph ++
mattias

Re: Daylight spool. "Load in TOTAL darkness"

Post by mattias »

jessh wrote:I assume that Kodak is just trying to cover their ass
yeah, they even said so when i asked explicitly. it's perfectly possible to load even 800 asa stock in full daylight. be more careful when unloading though, since the film might not be as tightly and evenly wound, depending on the camera, which might result in a few more feet getting fogged.

/matt
TomFoolery

Post by TomFoolery »

I third that, I've loaded many a tri-x in filmos and bolex. I always try to load it in as little of light as possible. Usually a shaded lamp with my back to it, under a blanket, what have you... gerneally 1/2 to 3/4 of a foot may be fogged.
All that is, is light.
jessh

Post by jessh »

Thanks for the help.

The filmo manual says to use 6 feet at the beginning when threading it, then to shoot 100feet, and then you will have 5 feet left to run off which functions as the tail leader and protection for the rest of the film. So do they still supply 100ft daylight spools with 111ft of film?

~Jess
Woland

Post by Woland »

My understanding is that you're given a few extra feet by the manufacturer just for this reason -- so that you can load and not lose actual film you intend to shoot.

I have a changing bag that I use sometimes, but again...it's not really necessary in some cases. Defintely use it though when I unload the film (on location).

Post by Freya »

Are 100ft spools always daylight loading spools or does kodak sell on 100ft spools that aren't daylight loading too?

I imagine the actual length of film you get from Kodak is not an exact science.

love

Freya