Fridge or Freezer?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

T-Scan

Fridge or Freezer?

Post by T-Scan »

stocked up on about 40 carts. going to store in foil packets in 1 gallon zip locks. is it better keep in the fridge or freezer? i've got K-40 and VNF, the K-40 will be used a lot quicker, the VNF may take awhile to use.
mattias

Post by mattias »

i'd say the fridge, unless you're planning on keeping them for more than three to five years or so.

/matt
super8man

Post by super8man »

I vote for the freezer...it doesn't take that long for the film to come up to temp and as long as you have the room, you may as well take advantage of reducing the chemical breakdown to almost zero when stored in a freezer.

I am sure Kodak has some technical specs on the storage of film...would make no difference on format if you are looking at kodachrome.

Cheers,
m
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

i plan to use the it all within 3-6 months. there is more room in the freezer, and my girlfriend won't complain as much. just want to besure not to degrade the quality by freezing.
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

Something I want to add is that I only use polypropylene bags. Maybe not as important in the freezer, but PVC can harm film. I don't know what ziplock bags are made of.
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Ziplock bags are polypropylene, so they're fine to use.

A "frost free" freezer has a lot less moisture than a fridge, so that's the tiebreaker in my book.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

No contest : Freezer! You never really know when you will shoot your film, much better to stop all deterioration of the emulsion as much as possible right from the start.

David M. Leugers
TomFoolery

Post by TomFoolery »

What does everyone think sufficent "thaw" time would be for freezer and fridge? Soon I will be getting a large stock of super 8 and 16mm. I'm thinking of putting it all in the freezer in zip-locks and putting the rolls/carts I need for the next week in the fridge. Is this pointless?
All that is, is light.
jessh

Post by jessh »

My suggestion would be both. Keep most of it in the freezer but keep a small quantity in the fridge so that it is ready to use when you need it.

~Jess
TomFoolery

Post by TomFoolery »

do you think 1 day is plenty of time to have out of the fridge, before shooting? what about if i had to pull it out of the freezer? i always get scared about condensation... does this happen?
All that is, is light.
Angus

Post by Angus »

A day is ooodles of time...usually about 3 hours is the minimum.

I vote freezer if you intend keeping the film longer than 6 months, otherwise fridge is OK.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Condensation is a big problem in high humidity areas. Make sure that you never break the foil seal until you are ready to put it in the camera. Then process film ASAP.

Good Luck
jessh

Post by jessh »

In the past I have noticed small holes in the foil seals of super8 carts. Might not be a good idea to rely on only that for protection. When storing film in the freezer I normally put each cart in its own ziplock bag so that when I take it out I can let it adjust to the temperature before removing it.

~Jess
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

jessh wrote:In the past I have noticed small holes in the foil seals of super8 carts. Might not be a good idea to rely on only that for protection. When storing film in the freezer I normally put each cart in its own ziplock bag so that when I take it out I can let it adjust to the temperature before removing it.

~Jess
I did have 2 with small tears and kept them out for immediate use. so i put 30 carts in the freezer zip locked, and 20 in the fridge, zip locked for my "soon to be used stash". thanks for all the info.