Projectors that allow you to remove the gate

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Patrick

Projectors that allow you to remove the gate

Post by Patrick »

With many super 8 projector designs, I believe that you can remove the gate for cleaning and maintenance. Out of curiosity, can the pressure plate be removed too? My projectors are not like that. With mine, the lens swings out to the side to provide access to the gate.

The reason I'm asking if that Ive got an idea for a DIY transfer unit. But it's a bit of a crazy, unorthodox idea - I'm considering using my microscope. Ive got an afocal setup for my microscope which gives me pleasing results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1jEKsxDrP4

I usually use this microscope in conjunction with my Panasonic M4/3 cameras to record footage of aquatic organisms. Though recently, Ive been wondering if I could use the same set up for digitising super 8 film. In order to keep the film flat, I could use thin glass. Alternatively, someone on another forum suggested that I could use a gate and pressure plate from a projector. Guess I could duct tape them to the stage of the microscope.

Of course this all depends if I can get the required magnification with the microscope. The lowest powered objective I have is 4x. Combined with my Nikon 10x eyepiece, that gives a total magnification of 40x. Ive a feeling that might actually be too much magnification but I'll have to put a super 8 frame under there and see how it looks.
Silverdream

Re: Projectors that allow you to remove the gate

Post by Silverdream »

Most of the Eumig dual gauge projectors have a removable aperture plate and pressure plate assembly. They separate into two pieces with the aperture plate being exchanged for the gauge required. The Eumig without the feed sprocket doesn't have a removable assembly.
David M. Leugers

Re: Projectors that allow you to remove the gate

Post by David M. Leugers »

Yeah, the 800 series Eumig projectors are great and the removable gate was a big plus for me. You can pick up the earlier ones like an 807 for less money than the later 820 projectors. If you get one make sure the projector advances the film like it is supposed to when running. Way too many Eumig's sold on eBay have the claw broken off and no longer work even though the sprockets and take-up reels turn. This is caused by removing the gate without first positioning the claw out of the way. Just FYI. Good luck.