Tripod Talk

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

doug

Re: Tripod Talk

Post by doug »

I rather like this string idea, might give it a go !
Yes I can see your point about the fact there's no stabilisation as in video cams. On the other hand I kind of like the handheld effect particularly in grabbing closeups of faces and so on. Although definition isn't going to be optimum at 1/30 sec or whatever it is, there's a nice reality feel to candid closeups and also the odd pan shot. It really depends I suppose on what kind of film you're making. Sometimes it's nice to have a rigid establishing shot taken on a tripod, at the start or end of a scene.
As far as I know, Phil it's OK for tripods here in UK. If you saw a street policeman you'd want to film him he's so rare :D
Though cameras of the other sort are everywhere. Maybe later a penalty !
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

doug wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:18 am I rather like this string idea, might give it a go !
Yes I can see your point about the fact there's no stabilisation as in video cams. On the other hand I kind of like the handheld effect particularly in grabbing closeups of faces and so on. Although definition isn't going to be optimum at 1/30 sec or whatever it is, there's a nice reality feel to candid closeups and also the odd pan shot. It really depends I suppose on what kind of film you're making. Sometimes it's nice to have a rigid establishing shot taken on a tripod, at the start or end of a scene.
As far as I know, Phil it's OK for tripods here in UK. If you saw a street policeman you'd want to film him he's so rare :D
Though cameras of the other sort are everywhere. Maybe later a penalty !
I think it would be different in central London around prime real estate ? this day & age .
when most do everything with a phone of kinds .

The weight of the camera also comes into play when hand holding / filming , As some camera are more heavy than others .
puting more strain on the wrist , so more prone to jeck & hand movment ,
doug

Post by doug »

I find the biggest cause of camera shake is the heavy zoom lens on the front. The weight of the body isn't a problem usually, in fact it helps stability. So lately I've tried to use shorter lenses for handheld filming. Not necessarily short focal length. The Bolex Compact 17-85 c-mount is a handy lens when the light conditions allow.
When doing tripod stuff with a long lens and matte box, I sometimes steady it with a piece of wood braced down to a tripod leg, held with clips.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

Also in Italy it's necessary to ask permission to use the tripod, but not the monopod.
I consider an heavy tripod absolutely necessary when there is a zoom or macro function. There are light tripods on the market, for photography, which in these situations make everything tremble, also with cable release.