vision 200T help

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Ed

vision 200T help

Post by Ed »

i just bought a roll of 200T to test a camera out. this will be my first time using this film. can anyone tell me any tips or anything i should know while shooting this film? i will be using a chinon camera, it runs at 18fps.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Hello,

It is a very good film stock, with extended latitude and fine grain.
If you are going to trust the in-built lightmeter, be careful in order to be sure that the lightmeter "knows" it is a ISO 200 film.
Happy testing,

Daniel
Ed

Post by Ed »

thanks. how do i know if the camera knows it is ISO 200 film?
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Most cameras except Beaulieus (at least 2-3-4-5-6-7 & 9 series) will set the film speed to 160 ASA which may be good anyway and certainly not cause any problems.

A slight overexposure seem OK for this film stock.

For most common S8 camaras there is a cartridge notching system which sets the film speed automatically.

You may find out more about the automatic notching / film speed system here:

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavende ... tspec.html
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavende ... ching.html
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavende ... ching.html

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
matt5791

Vision 200T

Post by matt5791 »

Vision 200T is a really great film stock which renders excellent professional modern looking results. The only thing you need to remember though (although I am sure that you are probably aware of this) is that it is a negative film so you can not project it after processing, you will need to have it transfered to video tape via a Telecine suite where they will convert it to positive at the same time too. So you need to be sure that you can view it on a decent tapestock aswell (dont ever use VHS - watching film on VHS to me is like running a Ferrari on remould tyres)

If you are ok with these things you really want to be firing off at least 4 rolls as the telecine technician will transfer 1 roll in about 8 minutes but you will still be charged for at least 30 minutes of transfer session time and also (unless you use Pro8mm) you will be charged a set up fee for Super8 and also (regardless of where you go) you will be charged a fee by the telecine suite for mastering at 18fps and converting it to PAL or NTSC (depending on wher you live. So to make things worth while use at least 4 rolls.

If you want to just test the camera use Kodachrome 40 as this is cheapest to buy and also you can project it as soon as it is processed.

Vision 200T is an amazing stock though!

Matt
Birmingham UK
avortex

Post by avortex »

It's an amazing stock if you like grain very very much. Tons of grain for you!
Marc
mshan

Post by mshan »

Tons of grain for you? I have shot this film,but haven't processed it. I've seen posts about this stock and how fine it is. Am I in for a big surprise once I do process it, though it won't be anytime soon?

-Mark
Video for now, Film Forever!
jhoneycutt

Re: Vision 200T

Post by jhoneycutt »

matt5791 wrote:Vision 200T is a really great film stock which renders excellent professional modern looking results. The only thing you need to remember though (although I am sure that you are probably aware of this) is that it is a negative film so you can not project it after processing, you will need to have it transfered to video tape via a Telecine suite where they will convert it to positive at the same time too. So you need to be sure that you can view it on a decent tapestock aswell (dont ever use VHS - watching film on VHS to me is like running a Ferrari on remould tyres)

If you are ok with these things you really want to be firing off at least 4 rolls as the telecine technician will transfer 1 roll in about 8 minutes but you will still be charged for at least 30 minutes of transfer session time and also (unless you use Pro8mm) you will be charged a set up fee for Super8 and also (regardless of where you go) you will be charged a fee by the telecine suite for mastering at 18fps and converting it to PAL or NTSC (depending on wher you live. So to make things worth while use at least 4 rolls.

If you want to just test the camera use Kodachrome 40 as this is cheapest to buy and also you can project it as soon as it is processed.

Vision 200T is an amazing stock though!

Matt
Birmingham UK
So about how much does it cost to telecine 4 rolls?

jack in Portland oregon
Canon 1014XL-S, Workprinter, Mac & PC
marc

Post by marc »

Is it with the negative stocks that the pressure plate is recomended? Can you get good results with the negative stock without using the pressure plate? (steadiness, etc.)
matt5791

Vision 200T

Post by matt5791 »

Hi there,

Ref. Jack in Portland - Pro8mm quote a four roll package which includes stock processing prep and clean and transfer to eith mini DV or Beta Sp witha supplement if you want mastering to Digibeta. The price is £200 in the UK and I beleive they charge the equivilant in the US (ie we in the UK do not pay a premium for the fact that the film is being shipped to California and back - in 3 working days!)

Ref. Marc in Orlando and the pressure plate - the negative stocks are slightly thicker than Kodachrome and thicker still than the B/W reversal stocks. I have never used the pressure plate, but I asked Philip Vigeant at Pro8mm (who has tested the pressure plate) and it was his opinion that its benefits are minimal especially with the negative stocks as the extra thickness helps increase the pressure against the gate and does the job of the pressure plate in compensating for worn gates which is essentially to compensate for worn gates.

However there may be others who have had different experiences with the pressure plate, the only thing I can say is that I have had stunning results without the pressure plate it really is an amazing stock.

This stock also has VERY fine grain. There is a 200T EXR stock which has a grain structure similar to Ektachrome but the Vision stock is definitly very fine grain!

Matt
Birmingham UK