Anyone Else Who Edits / Sound Edits The Film Original?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Do You Edit / Sound Edit The Film Original?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 17

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Anyone Else Who Edits / Sound Edits The Film Original?

Post by S8 Booster »

Just wondering if I am totally outdated?

I edit, post stripe & sound edit them and edit the sound from there for direct projection.

Anyone else who does this around here? (Apart from Pedro and Old Uncle Barry)

R
Last edited by S8 Booster on Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
mshan

Post by mshan »

I would have to say no because I've never done it. Maybe in the future...

-Mark
Pav

Editing

Post by Pav »

I edit film too, it is a completley different and unique experience when cutting film, though these days few people do it.

Most of the time I don't edit the camara original. I tend to work on a workprint. I copy the original film frame by frame via my projector (which has an enlarged gate so I dont miss any of the image) and camera. Its not that difficult and it doesn't take that long, plus the quality is pretty good.

It is this copy that I work on with my editor. I only edit the original when I am absoultly sure about the cut. A bit like neg cutting - think.

The only drawback is the length of time, it takes about 2 weeks for the original film to be processed and a further two weeks to get the copy processed.

Pj
avortex

Post by avortex »

OF COURSE!!!

It's the best of the super8 format!!

I edit it with a GOKO RM-8008 and a Bolex splicer. I transfer it with my Workprinter, edit the sound on the PC, stripe the film and transfer the sound to it.

If I need a complex editing, I make the PC cut first and then re-do it on the film. Nothing compares to a good projection of the original!
Marc
mattias

Post by mattias »

i do, but mostly in 16mm, and probably not so much anymore since i lost access to the steenbeck i've always used for free. i'll continue editing super 8 reversal for projection for sure, but no sound for me. playing a cd or even vinyl while projecting is cooler anyway. :-)

/matt
tod8

Post by tod8 »

I edit with a Wurker splicer for S8mm, and a Kodak butt splicer for regular 8. I use my originals. I never make prints or copies of my films. I never shoot with negative stock either.
I use a Minette viewer, they are superb.
I don't use sound, except while playing a CD or tape while the film is projecting.
I don't think I would ever want to edit on a computer. I like working with my hands and sitting down for long periods of time with my Minette and splicer is a thoroughly enjoying experience....
Tod
Angus

Post by Angus »

Yes, it is FAR more fun to do it the "old fashioned" way than with electronic means.

I only ever edit on the PC if my sole intention is to finish on VCD and never project - and that is very rare.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Thanks guys. Then I am not a totally Super-lunatic 8mm Alienated [Alien] - after all Image

Suprisingly many I´d say. Image

Thanks for your feedbacks - all of you.

R
Last edited by S8 Booster on Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
mattias

Post by mattias »

Angus wrote:Yes, it is FAR more fun to do it the "old fashioned" way than with electronic means.
i don't quite agree, the joy for me is in being able to project the result.

/matt
Pj

Post by Pj »

I believe when editing film/cutting film whether its the original or a copy, can add to the creative process.

It can be a slow process, but then that that in itself can be beneficial, you learn a kind of dicspline, a structured approach, something in my view you dont necessarily get when working with computers - Hope I am making sense.

Pj.
mattias

Post by mattias »

Pj wrote:It can be a slow process, but then that that in itself can be beneficial, you learn a kind of dicspline, a structured approach, something in my view you dont necessarily get when working with computers - Hope I am making sense.
sort of. i learned editing on tape to tape video system and steenbecks, and i like to think that made me a better and more structured editor when i moved to computers. however, you're going to have to adapt to that working style even if you started on a computer. very few working editors use much of the trial and error approach that the computer initially invites you to. it just takes too much time and doesn't give you as good results since the creativitiy is lost when the editor becomes a viewer instead of a storyteller.

/matt
FILM-THURSO

Post by FILM-THURSO »

At Film-Thurso we are working on our own contact printer (just got to get the lamp brightness sussed) because our preference is to copy camera-original material then edit the reprint for final copy-print for screening with full soundtrack. Part of our current production process includes 65mm PIP format material. This is an in-house photographic interprint system used for transferring special effects from PC back to super 8mm.
Also on our project list is Digital surround sound for super 8mm without huge modifications to projection equipment. A process has been devised and hopefully tests will be carried out before the end of December.
As much as possible everything is done on film.