Processing Kodachrome 40 at home???

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mshan

Processing Kodachrome 40 at home???

Post by mshan »

I have a kinda dumb question, so here it goes! Can I process Kodacrome 40 at home and what would the cost be? After reading on the internet about the subject, I got "it can't be done" to "You can fudge it." I also know you need a processing tank to do this, but can't find one online to buy. Also the chemicals are toxic, so what safety rules do I need to take? Dark room is not a concern as my bedroom is the darkest place in the house. Also what B+W stock can I process at home.

Thank you,

Mark

Super 8 ROCKS!
Ultrazero

Post by Ultrazero »

wahiba

Post by wahiba »

Anything is possible :wink:

Kodachrome does not contain incorporated colour couplers. This means they have to be added at the processing stage. Basically each colour layer has to be processed seperately with chemicals conting the couplers and dyes.

1 B&W first dev
2 Fog (red light)
3 Cyan Colour dev.
4 Fog (blue light)
5 Yellow col. dev.
6 Fog (white light)
7 Magenta col. dev.
8 Silver bleach
9 Fix
10 Wash

Ektachrome incorporates colour couplers, dyes, etc. so is much simpler to process.

1 B&W first dev
2 Harden
3 Fog (white light)
4 Col. dev.
5 Silver bleach
6 F ix
7 Wash

The above are from Advanced Photography by M J Langford, the 1977 edition. I think there are now easier DIY processes for Ektachrome. I also think the Kodachrome process list is a simplified version, reality is even more complicated.

Black and white film can be processed to negative and reversed by printing onto similar stock, or electronically.

Also B&W can be processed to a reversal. Similar process to the Ektachrome above except the Col. Dev. is a second B&W development.

B&W can be processed to negative in combined developer/fixer. The system used for years at race tracks for photo finishes.
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
studiocarter

developing

Post by studiocarter »

http://www.16mmoviemaking.com/developing/index.htm

Here are my latest edited pages regarding a unique small tank method I "developed" hee hee

I've been going web page crazy lately since I no longer have the WP

Michael
Angus

Post by Angus »

With Ekctachrome in a 3 bath E6 process you don't have to expose the film to light and 'fog' it, you just run it through the first dev, wash, 2nd (colour) dev, wash, bleach fix, wash and you're done.

K40 can theoretically be processed at home as B&W negative but why you'd want to is a bit of a mystery since Kodak does such a good job either free (most of the world) or at low cost (USA).
mshan

Post by mshan »

looks like a bunch of work to make a film. Thanks for all your comments on the subject, I've learned some. May try processing B&W Super 8 at home in the future, and leave the K-40 to the Pros! Truly is a nice film to shoot on!

Thanks,

Mark