16mm shot on 50’ magazines

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

The_kodak_kid

16mm shot on 50’ magazines

Post by The_kodak_kid »

Anyone have any o their own 16mm footage shot from a 50’ magazine??

Recently learned how to reload a magazine using single and double perf film.

I haven’t yet developed my film, but I’d love to see what you guys have shot on the magazin! :)
Phil_F_NM

Re: 16mm shot on 50’ magazines

Post by Phil_F_NM »

Those are fantastic!
Inspiring to get out and shoot.

Phil Forrest
Pj

Post by Pj »

Those films are excellent and show that these cameras work great with new film stock. Only recently I got interested in the 50ft magazine cameras, after seeing some old home movies I was pleasantly surprised at and how good these were and then I saw these films online which are remarkable. The portability of this format is incredible, I want to use single perf film, because it's easier to get and because I have loads of it. I thought about modifying the magazines, but this seems too much hard work, friends pointed out various instances and articles where people bypassed the sprockets in the magazine to use 1R film, it is also easier to load film in this unconventional way. At first I wasn't sure about this and wondered whether the film would run smoothly and whether there would be steadiness issues, so I did some tests with black and white film that I processed at home, the final pictures were very steady, I haven't got any of these tests scanned, but here's a test that a forum member has done;

https://youtu.be/0W6zgzQL3tc

I have loaded 8 magazines 400ft, some Fuji and some fresh Kodak film in this simple manner, I have filmed two so far and everything went fine, no funny noises and no jamming. When I film all 8 I will have them developed and scanned professionally at the Kodak lab in London, and will be able to show the results.

Pav
daver

Post by daver »

I notice on a previous posting about letting Retrocine load your mags. Well certainly with this simplified method that is not necessary, but on the Retrocine website they say that they clean and lubricate all magazines before loading. A small drop of watch oil followed by a mop up with tissue could make the image even steadier perhaps?
Dave