How about a DVD with examples of everyones work from here

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Scotness

How about a DVD with examples of everyones work from here

Post by Scotness »

How about a DVD with examples of everyone's work from this board?

It could be short films, trailers, music clips, home movies - test footage - anything and everything that was of worth and interest - it'd be easy to put together and could be sold at cost price - it'd be a blast to see examples of everyones work - and with accompanying technical info.

So anyone want to volunteer to over see it? - I'm not in the position to do it and I think since most people here are in North America or Europe for practical reasons it might be easier if it was put together there - then it could just be sold at a minimum cost and posted out -- all it would take is someone with broadband internet and a DVD burner and we could all send our clips in.

Any ideas - takers - it could be the 2003 Compilation from Shooting 8mm!!

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I would be more than happy to contribute some footage to such a DVD. However, I don't really have the facilities or hardware for posting footage on the web. I wonder if there could be the possibility of some people sending their transferred footage by mail? If this was an option, I guess that Mini Dv may be a suitable intermediate format to send?
jukkasil

Re: How about a DVD with examples of everyones work from her

Post by jukkasil »

Scotness wrote:How about a DVD with examples of everyone's work from this board?

Any ideas - takers - it could be the 2003 Compilation from Shooting 8mm!!

Scot
Including also material of filmshooting 8 mm time lapse project?
Best Regards

Jukka Sillanpaa
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Including also material of filmshooting 8 mm time lapse project?
Definitely - so who wants to set it up - posting a minDV tape is also a good option too I think

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Angus

Post by Angus »

I'm up for contributing some footage but cannot undertake the task of organising it myself!

Would the overseer want original 8mm footage or video files? Obviously everybody's telecine facilities are different.
Petteri

Post by Petteri »

hmm interesting idea!

I would love to give my material for such project... hmm i also have broadband internet connection... and i have dvd burner as well (+)

How many people would like to have this DVD? I mean i can surely collect all material and create dvd from it. But burning 100 copies from it, does not sound so great ;-) Maybe we could do "master" copy and order copys from that? That could be quite expesive thought?

My opinion from the DVD would be something like:

Shooting 8mm - 2003 Compilation DVD

1. Open Timelapse "the movie"
2. Open Timelapse - "Behing the scenes"
- Short "article" what was Open Timelapse project
- short description from each participant and equipment used, etc..
- linked to that, raw material without editing
3. Shortmovies with small introduction from the contributor
4. Member gallery with all kind of stuff (test shootings etc...)

Oh! I don't have miniDV!!

Petteri
Ralph S

customflix.com

Post by Ralph S »

Try customflix.com
You produce your original and they duplicate it on demand when someone orders one. It's about $10 each at cost.
I haven't tried it yet but I'm working on a project now that we will be using custumflix.
Angus

Post by Angus »

I'd certainly be interested in owning a copy too, as well as contributing!
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

This is a great idea. I'm sure people would be interested in seeing the "film behind the face" of folks on this board.
mattias

Post by mattias »

yeah, i like the idea too. we'd have to convert everything to ntsc though, whether we use this on demand service or not (great link by the way), since pal players can play ntsc discs but not the other way around...

/matt
nahie

Post by nahie »

I think this is a great idea. I have a DVD-R burner (4x). Customflix looks good but $10 + $3 shipping? DVD-R blanks are as cheap as $1.50 each, maybe another $1 for the case (though I might have a box of 50 or so amaray cases I could donate), and regular shipping is as cheap as $1 or ~$3.90 priority...

I've got miniDV equipment and Adobe Encore DVD so I could make a nice looking DVD (none of that DVDit or MyDVD junk). Forum members could even make their own menus for their movie, if so inclined. My burner is 4x so it only takes 15mins to burn a full DVD and I go to the post office almost every day anyway so shipping isn't a problem.

I also have a short clip I would like to put on it and I have broadband. How can we make this happen?

-Nahie
Petteri

Post by Petteri »

mattias wrote:we'd have to convert everything to ntsc though
Good point Mattias, i did't thought that at all..
nahie wrote: Forum members could even make their own menus for their movie, if so inclined.
That sounds great :-)
nahie wrote:My burner is 4x so it only takes 15mins to burn a full DVD
If we assume 100 dvd's would be "ordered":
15min x 100 is 25 hours! If you are workin two hours per day (~7-8 dvd's) = two weeks... But it's up to you ;-)

But how we can make it happen?

Petteri
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Making it happen is as easy as someone making the committment to it - personally I think Nahie's idea or proposition sounds better for cost reasons as long as you (Nahie) can handle the time committment it would mean.

As far as the format I think you should make a PAL and NTSC version available (it'd just mean having two disc images on stand by on you hard drive) so those in PAL land can enjoy the higher resolution and better colours of PAL - and you've got to remember we're dropping film to MPEG2 so we want to preserve as much as we can!

I say we let this thread run for another day or so and see if anyone has a better idea or proposition then if not if Nahie is sure he wants to go along with it, we hand it over to him - and he starts giving us info on how to get it to him, and a few time deadlines etc

I think the menu or contents you suggested Petteri is fine - as far as different telecine methods I think that's fine too - that would be part of what this is about - that's why I think it's important all the technical info for each film is provided (eg stock, camera, telecine method, lighting notes, sound synch notes etc) so the DVD could also be a bit of a resource as well as just an interesting way to see each others work.

Scot
Petteri

Post by Petteri »

Scotness,

I fully agree all you said in your post ;-)

Petteri
Ultrazero

Post by Ultrazero »

as far as different telecine methods I think that's fine too - that would be part of what this is about - that's why I think it's important all the technical info for each film is provided (eg stock, camera, telecine method, lighting notes, sound synch notes etc) so the DVD could also be a bit of a resource as well as just an interesting way to see each others work.

This is a great idea and I'd love to own a copy. I think it would be great for this site as well.