Ilford Colorcine 8mm film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Jonathan Guilbert

Ilford Colorcine 8mm film

Post by Jonathan Guilbert »

I used to buy Ilford Colorcine 8mm film stock when I was a teenager because it was cheap and in a pack of 4 rolls of standard 8 you only paid for three. I recently had some of this film scanned and you can see the difference between the quality of this Colorcine compared to Kodachrome which I later started using even though it was quite a bit more expensive:

This is Colorcine film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP5yuwuYE4k

Kodachrome film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0gpe0HfQM8

And there's more examples on my channel.
cineandy

Re: Ilford Colorcine 8mm film

Post by cineandy »

great camera work and filming technique, who did you use for the telecine?
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

Great Foley editing.

Kodachrome triumphs over all other manufacturers' products every time. It's a shame it's gone.
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

For home movies the Ilfordcine was more than adequate, especially the 4 for 3 price and returned spliced onto a 200' reel. The films had to be placed in the box in a certain order to make sure they came back in sequence. Usually got it wrong. I seem to remember my Dad got a couple quite cheaply as Ilford pulled out of the cine market. Many years later I managed the same with a few rolls of bargain Super 8 Kodachrome from Boots, 21st century Kodachrome home movies, end of an era.

Note re. Boots, a a large UK chemist chain. They have recently started stocking Lomo 35mm and 120 film, colour and black and white. A bit of a surprise as I had thought they had finished with real photography years ago.
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
doug

Post by doug »

There were some good deals around in that super-8 heyday. Agfa also had offers like this I seem to recall. Boots used to have quite a large photographic quarter. And some of their super-8 projectors are still going strong ! Wonder if any of their staff realise this now. That's if you can find someone to talk to... their staff have very much depleted recently. But it's good news about stocking Lomo, so there must be some potential money in these strange products. Maybe Ferrania super-8 under a Boots name ? just dreaming.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

It makes me feel good when I hear about places *starting* to stock film. Remarkable. I hope more establishments start selling film.

I was actually in an art store today and was surprised to see several flavors of 135 film available. Apparently, a nearby community college has a photography class.