16mm magazine

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Pj

16mm magazine

Post by Pj »

I have never really been interested in 16mm magazine cameras until now, the run times are short, just over one minute at 24 fps and you need double perf film. Whenever anyone at my workshops asks about 16mm magazine cameras I have always made a point to tell them to stay away from them. While these cameras are small and cute, getting colour film is virtually impossible and loading the magazines seems a nightmare. I have seen a few videos Youtube about loading the magazines and have often wondered why Kodak used such a complex design.

I want to be able to use single perf film in the Kodak magazine and I came across this, it appeared in Home Movie magazine 11/1948. It seems that the sprocket wheel isn’t used at all. The film from the feed side misses the sprocket as does the film to the take up, but the sprocket wheel still turns as it’s driven by the camera and this keeps the take up turning. Everyone said this wouldn’t work, but I did a quick test and loaded some B/W single perf film in this way and shot it, processed it and projected it, surprisingly everything worked, I’ve had very good results and I’m so excited. I haven’t done any scientific stability tests but the picture is very steady, the frame lines are very consistent. I shot at 24fps with a Revere 16 with a tripod. Now I will use some of my new Vision 3 and see how that turns out. Now I’m wondering why why Kodak made such a complicated 50ft magazine that everyone used until the 70's.

Pav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The_kodak_kid

Re: 16mm magazine

Post by The_kodak_kid »

Thank for this!! I literally just learned how to reload the magazine with 2perf film last night. I was afraid the film I had ordered was single perf and inquired another person on here on how I would go about loading single perf film. He mentioned the exact same magazine you posted a picture from.

Only one question: the article mentions something about a pressure plate spring being turned around to avoid catching the film. What is he referring too?
Pj

Post by Pj »

He is referring to the brass plate that holds the pressure plate as it is it curls up at the bottom he has turned it around so that the curl is at the top. I have loaded some Vision film this way and am filming so lets see.

Pav
Pj

Post by Pj »

I also found this;
Pav
Pj

Post by Pj »

mag 2 copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

Chris at Retrocine.com will save you the hassle and do it correctly, for only $10. As an added bonus, he is quick and friendly.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Thanks for the clarification. The pressure plate IS reversible indeed and that works. I bent it downwards more. Film ran smoothly in the 1R configuration smoothly, quietly and flawlessly at 16 fps and at 24 fps. First time for that.

BTW, I got the brass sleeve off the core after rewinding the film without unwinding the film more than a couple three spirals. I couldn't get it to grab the film to load the feed core without using the brass sleeve. It takes practice. And a slotted driver. I did it once without the brass sleeve and once with it. Either way, the exposed film may be sent to a lab without sending a core with it.
To rewind, remove D first.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Come to think of it, there is no reason that the takeup core with the brass retaining sleeve and geared bottom cannot be removed in the same way the feed core may be. Worth a try or two. No need to rewind the film then.
Pj

Post by Pj »

I have quite a bit of single perf stock that I want to use. Studiocarter have you got any results?

Pav
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

No, I only learned how to load a magazine correctly this morning. Tri-X 16mm 1R 7266 will be loaded. I had to review my stand developing reports all day today. HC-110 will be used to stand develop it. I get box speed 200 Asa. Higher if I want it. But I really like the creamy smooth look using RO9 slower...
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Ready. 25 feet were loaded first onto a take up spool in a Bolex then onto a core using my handy dandy lid loader. This was my first load in the dark. It was somewhat difficult. The screws were done in the light. 7266 1R 200 Asa reversal was loaded. Fresh film. A Lomo 1 developing tank will be used.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

https://youtu.be/0W6zgzQL3tc
The magazine made a big scratch.
My developing was perfect!
This film is 1R single perforated Tri-X 16mm
The 50 foot magazine was used with the innards upside down.
It was stand developed in HC-110. It only needed 22ml to do the job. Half of that could have worked I bet.
Phil_F_NM

Post by Phil_F_NM »

That is excellent.

Phil Forrest
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Thank you
Pj

Post by Pj »

This is excellent, very steady images. Did you load the magazine the simple way, or the preferred Kodak way? What do you think caused the scratch? Just realized it's 1R film so it's most likely loaded the simple way unless the magazine was adapted.

Pav