Motor belt for Elmo 912/S Super-8 editor

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Flash of Insight

Motor belt for Elmo 912/S Super-8 editor

Post by Flash of Insight »

I'm looking for a replacement belt for an Elmo 912/S Super-8 sound editor. The belt goes from the motor shaft to a larger pulley attached to ( I think) the flywheel.

I've heard that the Elmo 912/S was made by Goko for Elmo, so I'm wondering if a belt for the Goko RM 5000 or RM8008 might work.

The plastic shield in the front, with the apertures for control knobs, switches, etc., can be removed, revealing the motor pulleys above and behind the speed adjustment and volume knobs.

When I turn the crank on the take-up arm, it spins the capstan and the larger pulley. So it seems the belts that transmit power to the capstan and take-up are fine.

The grooves in the motor pulley(s) are approximately 6mm/.236in wide, and 3mm/.118in deep. The pulley on the motor has an inside diameter of 8mm/.314in; the larger pulley's inside diameter is 22mm/.866in. The shaft centers of the two pulleys are 54.5mm/2.15in apart.

Ballparking these measurements, my guess is a replacement belt needs an inside circumference of 156mm/6.14in, or diameter of around (no pun intended) 50mm/1.97in, or a little under.

QUESTIONS:
Do the Goko RM-editor belts work on the Elmo?
Is there a belt for another projector that's a close-enough match to work?
Is there a company that sells rubber drive belts in enough variety to have one of the proper dimensions?

In advance, thank you for any assistance you can provide;

Karen
camera8mm

Re: Motor belt for Elmo 912/S Super-8 editor

Post by camera8mm »

theres a seller on flea bay who regularly sells projector belts. cant remember the seller off hand, if you contact the seller and give the dimensions of the belt, or measure it with a string, the seller will sell you one. its one of the regulars who sells the elmo and chinon belts.
Krasnogorskistan

Post by Krasnogorskistan »

Hi Karen,

I don't know where you are based, but an option in the UK might be this range (scroll around for all the sizes they do):

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/cassette-pla ... 46mm-yx76h

They also do a series of belts for small electric motors but I can't find that page....that one lists the full dimensions of the rubber belt itself rather than purely its working diameter....
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

:D :D
Flash of Insight wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:30 am I'm looking for a replacement belt for an Elmo 912/S Super-8 sound editor. The belt goes from the motor shaft to a larger pulley attached to ( I think) the flywheel.

I've heard that the Elmo 912/S was made by Goko for Elmo, so I'm wondering if a belt for the Goko RM 5000 or RM8008 might work.

The plastic shield in the front, with the apertures for control knobs, switches, etc., can be removed, revealing the motor pulleys above and behind the speed adjustment and volume knobs.

When I turn the crank on the take-up arm, it spins the capstan and the larger pulley. So it seems the belts that transmit power to the capstan and take-up are fine.

The grooves in the motor pulley(s) are approximately 6mm/.236in wide, and 3mm/.118in deep. The pulley on the motor has an inside diameter of 8mm/.314in; the larger pulley's inside diameter is 22mm/.866in. The shaft centers of the two pulleys are 54.5mm/2.15in apart.

Ballparking these measurements, my guess is a replacement belt needs an inside circumference of 156mm/6.14in, or diameter of around (no pun intended) 50mm/1.97in, or a little under.

QUESTIONS:
Do the Goko RM-editor belts work on the Elmo?
Is there a belt for another projector that's a close-enough match to work?
Is there a company that sells rubber drive belts in enough variety to have one of the proper dimensions?

In advance, thank you for any assistance you can provide;

Karen

Hi Karen send van eck a email maybe able to help

https://shop.van-eck.net/PP-0012.html?_ ... ch=pp-0012
Flash of Insight

Post by Flash of Insight »

nikonr10 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:57 am
Hi Karen send van eck a email maybe able to help

https://shop.van-eck.net/PP-0012.html?_ ... ch=pp-0012
Thank you for the advice. However, I sent van Eck an email on September 11th. Haven't heard back from them yet.

On another note, Wittner-Cinetec may be finally back open for business...

=Karen