Universal now offering 2K and Audio modules!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MovieStuff

Universal now offering 2K and Audio modules!

Post by MovieStuff »

Okay, it's all up on the website. We have the new 2K camera modules, the new UltraLite modules and the new RetroSync Studio Sound Module.

http://www.moviestuff.tv

Roger
Stevelook2

Re: Universal now offering 2K and Audio modules!

Post by Stevelook2 »

My Retrosync is now ordered.

Looking forward to using it with my Universal

keep up the great work Roger :)
Will2

Post by Will2 »

The pride of Utopia strikes again!
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Eesh, been anticipating the 2K upgrade, but the need for added components puts the total cost at $1400. Cuts too far into my budget for new camera and film.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Tscan wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:12 pm Eesh, been anticipating the 2K upgrade, but the need for added components puts the total cost at $1400. Cuts too far into my budget for new camera and film.
The new 2K camera has a larger sensor. This means a longer extension tube which, in turn, increases the bellows factor which, in turn, means you need more light. Compounding the issue is the need to stop down the lens to get edge to edge focus with the now longer extension tube. This eats up even more light. It's not that the 2K camera won't function with the current light source but you would be perpetually at high gain with limited ability to stop down the lens. For this reason, anyone buying the new 2K camera must also get the new UltraLite kit. Now, the upside of the new light source is a change in physical design which actually recesses the light thereby removing it from the view of the user. So even though the light is more than 3 times brighter to the camera, it is far less bright to the user. More importantly, the brighter light source is a big benefit to the users with the stock HD camera already on the Universal because it reduces camera gain and associated noise levels. Colors are punchier, too. So people on a budget looking at a future 2K upgrade will often start with the UltraLite kit. Then later they can simply purchase the 2K camera kit when the need/budget allows.

On an unrelated note, all new gates now ship with UV emitters in place of the blue emitters. The UV emitters are still partially in the visible spectrum but a good portion is in the invisible spectrum, which has a more difficult time penetrating some plastics. This makes dialing in the sensor levels for clear edge film or film with clear patches (like R8) much easier. The overall stability of the image is better, too. The UV emitters are free to any MovieStuff Retro or Universal customer that asks. You only pay for shipping. Easy to install in minutes.
pberk

Post by pberk »

So even though the light is more than 3 times brighter to the camera, it is far less bright to the user. More importantly, the brighter light source is a big benefit to the users with the stock HD camera already on the Universal because it reduces camera gain and associated noise levels. Colors are punchier, too.
This is a worthwhile upgrade just for the fact that the light is less bright to the user. That bright light has always been a pain and a bit of a danger. I'll be ordering this. Still thinking about the 2k camera.

Are we to assume that the software for the 2K is all in the way of updated software for now?
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

pberk wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:44 pm
Are we to assume that the software for the 2K is all in the way of updated software for now?
The new 2K upgrade for the software will be out within the week.

The software is actually finished but I am in the process of completely rewriting the instructions because so many changes and additions and improvements have been made to the software. This new upgrade is free to all Universal software owners that already have the RetroScan Universal software. The new upgrade will work with both the original HD camera as well as the new 2K camera. And since so many customers are still using the Universal to just output standard definition DVDs, the new software will actually let you capture at the same resolution as the original HD camera so that your files sizes are kept the small but with the superior picture offered by the new camera. But you can also capture at multiple larger sizes up to 2048 x 1536.

Some of the features added are-

a drop frame indicator on the capture panel

still frame focusing capability,

a new "TrueView" window that can be expanded to full screen/fill resolution on an expanded desktop and is visible while transferring. This is handy if used in conjunction with some of the new monitors can have waveform and vector scope functions built in.

true black and white captures for reversal or negative,

a new speed preview function when playing back files,

a speed marking function as well,

a new layout for the export page that makes selections easier and also provides previews of what the cropping will look like when making choices about letterboxing or pillar bars,

easier ability to selection multiple files for processing choices,

the ability to assign different output types to a single file,

AVI and well as MOV output in both compressed and uncompressed

a new manifest function that will print a report of all your transferred files. And if you tell it the amount you charge per foot, it will calculate your bill.

And, oh yes, the black background has been replaced with an industrial grey and all the script type replaced with regular block type.

And, finally, the I/O for the software has been dramatically improved. I have been routinely capturing uncompressed 2K to a single internal 7200 RPM drive without dropping frames. I can't play it back, of course, but I can capture it fine. :)

Roger
Last edited by MovieStuff on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pberk

Post by pberk »

This new upgrade is free to all Universal software owners that already have the RetroScan Universal software. The new upgrade will work with both the original HD camera as well as the new 2K camera.
Thanks Roger. Very welcome news on the software. Been waiting for that software upgrade.

It just occurred to me that the 35mm slide Gate will do much better at 2k. The extra resolution should be very noticeable. I would think it would be the most improved of all the formats.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

pberk wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:49 pm
This new upgrade is free to all Universal software owners that already have the RetroScan Universal software. The new upgrade will work with both the original HD camera as well as the new 2K camera.
Thanks Roger. Very welcome news on the software. Been waiting for that software upgrade.

It just occurred to me that the 35mm slide Gate will do much better at 2k. The extra resolution should be very noticeable. I would think it would be the most improved of all the formats.
Yes, the slides off the 2K camera are nothing short of stunning. I hope to have some samples up on the website in a few weeks or less.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Sounds good, I sent an email for the sensor upgrade. I might wait until i secure a new camera before I order the upgrade, but it's in the plan. Doesn't sound like I'll need to build a faster PC, so that helps.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Tscan wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:19 am Sounds good, I sent an email for the sensor upgrade. I might wait until i secure a new camera before I order the upgrade, but it's in the plan. Doesn't sound like I'll need to build a faster PC, so that helps.
Yeah, the I/O improvements on the upcoming software release are immense. You can capture pretty much any size, even with a laptop, though I highly recommend sticking with a 7200 RPM drive or faster for anything above 1920 x 1080. But the only reason you might want a fast PC is if you are going to actually edit 2K uncompressed. Otherwise, I think you could do this with a basic desktop.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Since the machine does slides, could it do 100 foot rolls of 35mm film? Hand cranked 35mm film cameras seem to be popular. I know I want one of the old ones that hold 100 ft rolls. Eyemo.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

studiocarter2 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:24 pm Since the machine does slides, could it do 100 foot rolls of 35mm film? Hand cranked 35mm film cameras seem to be popular. I know I want one of the old ones that hold 100 ft rolls. Eyemo.
Love my Eyemo...highly recommended.
https://vimeo.com/16430701

I believe the slide adapter is for just that...slides; not a reel of film.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

studiocarter2 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:24 pm Since the machine does slides, could it do 100 foot rolls of 35mm film? Hand cranked 35mm film cameras seem to be popular. I know I want one of the old ones that hold 100 ft rolls. Eyemo.
We have a back burner project of building a 35mm cine gate but it's admittedly a slow process because it has to work for all 35mm formats (4 perf, 3 perf, 2 perf, VistaVision, etc) or it's not worth making and selling. Also, we will make absolutely zero profit on it because the number of expected sales will never offset the cost of R&D. But, still, we forge ahead. We are also working on a gate for strip film, such as 35mm still camera negs, which could possibly work for a 100 foot roll of 35mm cine film. You could capture each frame manually and then use stabilization software to register the sprocket holes.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Out of curiosity, do you have any plans to add PTRs to your Retro (or future) scanners?

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations