8mm Print Film...not a typo

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

silverhalide

8mm Print Film...not a typo

Post by silverhalide »

8mm print film is shipping from Germany this week. I'll have Fotokem run some test prints in early January and I'll have Spectra slit and scan...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BAC

Re: 8mm Print Film...not a typo

Post by BAC »

I assume this is to make prints from a negative not reversal film. Does anyone make 8mm prints?
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

BAC wrote:I assume this is to make prints from a negative not reversal film. Does anyone make 8mm prints?
I have a printer and intend to learn how to use it. To that end, first I must learn to develop and or reverse black and white 8mm film. I started a Facebook group, home movie film lab, and the necessary information is there, thanks to all. I wait for chemicals to ship by ground. Film is here already.
Michael
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1833878160190581/
BAC

Post by BAC »

That printer sounds interesting, I can't wait to see what you can do with it. I just joined your group on Facebook.
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

studiocarter2 wrote:
BAC wrote:I assume this is to make prints from a negative not reversal film. Does anyone make 8mm prints?
I have a printer and intend to learn how to use it. To that end, first I must learn to develop and or reverse black and white 8mm film. I started a Facebook group, home movie film lab, and the necessary information is there, thanks to all. I wait for chemicals to ship by ground. Film is here already.
Michael
<a class="vglnk" href="https://www.facebook.com/groups/1833878160190581/" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>facebook</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>groups</span><span>/</span><span>1833878160190581</span><span>/</span></a>
For "centuries", I looking for someone did Regular 8 positive prints from the negative, there is probably no one who does it, in the world.
Now, with Vision3 for Regular8, would be a very nice thing. To have negative for test your machine, you don't need first learn develop, someone, even here in the forum (also me) have Vision3 Regular 8 negative already development. I also knew someone who had development Orwo UN54 in negative (it' possibile also in reversal and negative).
I could send you a Regular8 Vision3 50D negative film already developed, for test machine, but if there is someone who lives near you, and have develop negative 8mm film, it could be more convenient.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Thanks, what to print on? Neg dev is easy. Same as print.
Foma chemical reversal kit arrived. Spiral tanks were figured out. Old print test uploaded. Now am looking in closet for 50ft 16mm magazine film to see how much loads on spiral. Inventoring put boxes all over the place.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

BAC wrote:That printer sounds interesting, I can't wait to see what you can do with it. I just joined your group on Facebook.
Try again bac, what name do you use?
Home movie film lab on Facebook
Michael
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

For "centuries", I looking for someone did Regular 8 positive prints from the negative, there is probably no one who does it, in the world.
Now, with Vision3 for Regular8, would be a very nice thing. To have negative for test your machine, you don't need first learn develop, someone, even here in the forum (also me) have Vision3 Regular 8 negative already development. I also knew someone who had development Orwo UN54 in negative (it' possibile also in reversal and negative).
I could send you a Regular8 Vision3 50D negative film already developed, for test machine, but if there is someone who lives near you, and have develop negative 8mm film, it could be more convenient.

Some day I could do that, soon I hope. Yes, exposing only would be easy, one light. No adjustments.
Is your film slit?

For myself, I only want to do black & white, at least for now.
BAC

Post by BAC »

studiocarter2 wrote:
BAC wrote:That printer sounds interesting, I can't wait to see what you can do with it. I just joined your group on Facebook.
Try again bac, what name do you use?
Home movie film lab on Facebook
Michael
I was accepted into the group, thanks.
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

Fotokem will print unslit 8mm film on their 16mm printer. I posted a couple tests on youtube. Here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsp_G9D082I

Note that the print has half as many perfs as it should. That's because it was printed on 16mm print stock. Also note that only the left side is good. That seems to mean that a 25' roll of 8mm will take 50' to print.

I now have 8mm print film, so unslit 8mm can be printed using Fotokem's 16mm printer. I plan to run some more test rolls in January. When they print 16mm for me it comes out great. I'm sure they'll be able to produce great 8mm prints after climbing a bit of a learning curve.

The prints will need to be slitted. Spectra Film & Video can do that.

Dennis
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Instructions for my Uhler Cine printer say to use the 8mm gate, reverse a gear, and run the unslitted film through the printer twice, flipping it over.
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

Fotokem doesn't have an 8mm gate for their printer as far as I know.
c-stand

Post by c-stand »

I've been wanting and asking Kodak to offer prints from Super 8 negative film. ANDEC in germany makes prints from Super 8.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I'd actually be interested in Super 8 and Regular 8 blowups to 16mm...I tend to brake out the 16mm projector quite a bit more than the smaller projectors. I know the minimum order quantity on Kodak print film have gone up quite a bit in the last few years...I was thinking of buying an order and finding a lab to make a bunch of blowups for me.
c-stand

Post by c-stand »

Will2 wrote:I'd actually be interested in Super 8 and Regular 8 blowups to 16mm...I tend to brake out the 16mm projector quite a bit more than the smaller projectors. I know the minimum order quantity on Kodak print film have gone up quite a bit in the last few years...I was thinking of buying an order and finding a lab to make a bunch of blowups for me.
Colorlab in Maryland can do that for you. I'm sure other places as well.