Conversion negative in positive

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

7OSE9

Conversion negative in positive

Post by 7OSE9 »

Hello,
on the web I found nothing, or only for photos and not for vidoes: there is a software (or a plug-in for Premiere, I use it. "Invert" option in Premiere make film only in blue tint) that converts scanned negative films, such as Vision 3, in positive?
I know that, usually, use the directly scanner software, but I'm in possession of some files of negative films, scan of Vision 3.
Thank you! :)
wahiba

Re: Conversion negative in positive

Post by wahiba »

I think all video editing software packages have invert as an option. Even those that do not cost anything. For video it creates a negative look but certainly works the other way.
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

wahiba wrote:I think all video editing software packages have invert as an option. Even those that do not cost anything. For video it creates a negative look but certainly works the other way.

There is almost always "invert", of course, but, unfortunately, I tried with Premiere, the command "invert" only change from typical "orange" of negative in "bluish", nothing more.
Then we should work with other options, but it is very difficult, can not do it. Possible that there is not an easier way? :((
Pj

Post by Pj »

Is it cine film? How are you transferring film? I always use a blue/turquoise filter changing the colour of the light when digitising film so when I use the invert in Premiere I get a better balanced image.
Pav
avortex

Post by avortex »

You need to do a more intensive colour correction than reversal. The "invert" filter is only the starting point.
If you're not very skilled in this area (most of us aren't), is better to let the professionals at the transfer house do it.
Marc
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

Thank you.
True, after the "invert" command that make bluish tint, it's really hard to juggle with colors. I know you can use RGB Premiere or other editing software options, but not easy.
However, if anyone has any tips for having a minimun result, even a little 'acceptable, without having the excellent results of a professional lab, it's good. :)
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

For neg transfers you need to be able to see the invert effect while transferring..... so you can adjust the white balance on the camera to compensate for the orange/blue tint you are getting. If your camera has an invert function you are in luck. If your camera can be connected to a computer. You can invert the screen on a mac by hitting Control-Option-Command-8

on a pc you may be able to play with the graphics card settings and invert it that way....i did this with an nvidia card on a pc once.

or there is the really simple way of doing it with an invert app for your phones camera. This sounds lame but is still better than guessing what the neg will look like inverted back to positive.
ncollingwood

Post by ncollingwood »

So if you have a scan of negative film, as said before, you can select invert in Premiere. This will give you a blue-ish video. Now for a relatively quick fix, select "fast color corrector" in the effects panel, then in the Effect Controls window, about halfway down that effect, there's a few boxes to set black, grey and white levels. Select the eye dropper for each and select the brightest, middle toned, and then darkest area respectively. This will give you ROUGH but closer colors. Then I'd throw on a curves effect and go from there. A basic knowledge of color/image editing is necessary. But I've gotten solid results when I've CC my own films before. I've gotten truer colors when using a curves layer for the heavy color correcting and then tweaking that with maybe a fast color corrector layer for saturation or tint.