Which external light meter do you use/recommend?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Bjarne Eldhuset

Which external light meter do you use/recommend?

Post by Bjarne Eldhuset »

I have previously only shot with a Nizo camera where the light meter worked.

Now I want to use my Beaulieu 4008 ZM4, and I need an external light meter.

Which light meter is fairly cheap and fairly easy to use with super 8 cameras?

I do not need one that has all the bells and whistles for a digital camera.

I like the retro look on this one, but I do not know:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 ... Meter.html

Any recommendations?

If anyone knows of a great guide on "how to use an external light meter with your super 8 camera", feel free to share :-)
Charlie Blackfield

Re: Which external light meter do you use/recommend?

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

I use a Weston Master ciné light meter that's probably been produced around 1960 and cost me 10 pounds or so on ebay about 10 years ago. Still works alright. Selenium cells, so no battery needed, which is great when you're using it on your travels. The only thing to watch out for is that it measures film speed in Weston speed - which, however, is very simple to translate, Weston speed being always 4/5 of ISO/ASA, so 80 Weston speed is 100ASA, 160 Weston speed 200ASA, etc.

Charlie
BAC

Post by BAC »

I use a free light meter app on my iPhone.
Mana

Post by Mana »

BAC wrote:I use a free light meter app on my iPhone.
Ditto
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

Yes, the way in which light meters work is not particularly complicated. A phone camera with appropriate software will give you the exact same reading that an expensive brand name light meter gives you.

What will differ from one light meter to the next is not accuracy but things like usability, convenience and other such "value adds".

One limitation with phone camera light meters is that they only provide for reflected light readings. Myself, I prefer incident light readings (where possible). Now it's not impossible to adapt a phone camera into an incident light meter. One could conceivably devise some translucent hemisphere and disk as an attachment, with the appropriate software it would need.

One can even build a light meter using very inexpensive components.

I've found traditional light meters also tend to hold their age quite well. I've been using the same light meter now for about twenty years, and it's still giving accurate readings. So it's worth checking out some cheap second hand light meters. While there is a bit of a risk it's one that can be considered worth taking (depending on price). And you can test it against a couple of other light meters to see if they find agreement. I've tested my light meter against a phone app light meter and they agreed with each other.

C
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
Bjarne Eldhuset

Post by Bjarne Eldhuset »

Thanks for your input! I might just try an app this time!
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

I use an old Sekonic L-98, I agree that the old light meters, usually, work good.
With a Bolex H8, instead, I use a Gossen specially built for this type of Bolex, already calibrated for the deflection of light. Even this last, however, is usable with cameras, just keep in mind the fact of the stolen light.
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

BAC wrote:I use a free light meter app on my iPhone.
I did so on a new Samsung S5 smartphone and films came back highly underexposed specially in some not-shiny conditions. I guess those free apps give variable results depending a lot on the smartphone concrete model.

I finally bought a Sekonik 308-L and it worths every cent.