straight 8 is open for 2016

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

antibard

straight 8 is open for 2016

Post by antibard »

hello!!

after a 3 year hiatus straight 8 is back and open for entries

we invite anyone, anywhere to make a short film on one cartridge of kodak super 8mm cine film

you send the cartridge back to us unprocessed and upload a soundtrack

we'll take care of processing and hd telecine at cinelab london

if it's great, you'll see your film for the first time at its packed premiere at cannes film festival in may 2016

we'll be organising further cinema/festival screeenings later in the year too, showing more films

entry is open now until feb 29th and you'd need to get your finished film back to us in london by apr 4th

more details, past films and entry is at http://www.straight8.net

we're really excited to be back and can't wait to see a brand new crop of straight 8 films
Bjarne Eldhuset

Re: straight 8 is open for 2016

Post by Bjarne Eldhuset »

Sounds fun! Just entered.

Haven't shot super 8 in years, so this was the push I needed :-)

Anyone else on this forum entering this?
Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

Yes, I'm planning to enter Straight 8 as well this year. So far I've only taken part once in this, back in 2010, when I made it into the top 20 (out of about 100 submissions) with my short film The Naked Animator https://vimeo.com/13717202 (the vimeo version is slightly modified, as the soundtrack was lagging behind the pictures in the original). This time I'll be using a camera with a frame counter, as opposed to a simple film counter, so hopefully the sound will be more in synch.

Charlie
antibard

Post by antibard »

great to see that some people on here are entering.

i first became involved in straight 8 through repeatedly entering myself.

it's an amazing feeling seeing your work for the first time ever surrounded by an enthusiatic and appreciative audience. the atmosphere was often closer to a rock concert than a film premiere!

i found it a really good way to force myself to make a complete film and it's a great thing to have an audience lined up before you've even made it.