New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Will2

Re: New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Post by Will2 »

Tommy wrote:I believe film cost will come down drastically, in the future...due to new techniques in manufacturing being spurred by 3-d printing and 3-d bio-printing
The thing about 3-D printing is that you can create one-offs and short runs efficiently, but if you already have the plastic dies, injection molding is way, way, WAY cheaper. Kodak can pump out those plastic Super 8 cartridges for a penny or two. Plastic costs next to nothing. It's the film and assembly that costs money and that wouldn't be affected by 3-D printing.
aj

Post by aj »

Will2 wrote:
Tommy wrote:I believe film cost will come down drastically, in the future...due to new techniques in manufacturing being spurred by 3-d printing and 3-d bio-printing
The thing about 3-D printing is that you can create one-offs and short runs efficiently, but if you already have the plastic dies, injection molding is way, way, WAY cheaper. Kodak can pump out those plastic Super 8 cartridges for a penny or two. Plastic costs next to nothing. It's the film and assembly that costs money and that wouldn't be affected by 3-D printing.
Film isn't 3-d printed :) Cartridges aren't that cheap. I suppose Kodak has still a good price but it likely costs around 1 Euro. When purchasing these as in retail the price is with 144 pcs near Euro 3.
Kind regards,

André
Will2

Post by Will2 »

aj wrote:Film isn't 3-d printed :) Cartridges aren't that cheap. I suppose Kodak has still a good price but it likely costs around 1 Euro. When purchasing these as in retail the price is with 144 pcs near Euro 3.
That was my point (sorry I didn't spell out that film isn't 3D printed). While Kodak might sell a cartridge for a 3 Euro, the component parts are certainly less than 10 cents in plastic, probably less. The pressure plate spring probably costs more than the plastic. When you factor in all the other machine, electricity and labor costs, you're probably right...but I'd expect no more than $1 for the whole cartridge. But if you 3D printed it, it would probably be $4 just for the plastic parts.

In other words, 3D printing the only things that can be 3D printed would simply add significantly to the cost.
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

i think the trick here is 3d printing the film in the cartridge as the cartridge is printed. i see no insurmountable technical hurdles :-)
cine8

Post by cine8 »

There hasn't been one word on this camera since January. If you go to fuseproject's website, they don't even list Kodak as a client. what gives?
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

According to this latest tweet, today there's a working prototype in a case, in a cab, somewhere in Europe...
http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/consumer/ ... 3&pageNo=1
Reborn member since Sept 2003
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

Tscan wrote:According to this latest tweet, today there's a working prototype in a case, in a cab, somewhere in Europe...
I can't find the tweet you mention..
bottlegardener

Post by bottlegardener »

kuparikettu wrote:
Tscan wrote:According to this latest tweet, today there's a working prototype in a case, in a cab, somewhere in Europe...
I think it's this one: https://twitter.com/danycornwall/status ... 6677164033
(It's not easy to see but Kodak retweeted it).
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

bottlegardener wrote:
kuparikettu wrote:
I think it's this one: https://twitter.com/danycornwall/status ... 6677164033
(It's not easy to see but Kodak retweeted it).
Thanks!
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Let's hope it is a regular standard C-mount with 17.526mm flange focal distance.
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

Lunar07 wrote:Let's hope it is a regular standard C-mount with 17.526mm flange focal distance.
oh, it undoubtedly will be a standard C-mount. creating a new form of C-mount lens would mean that only the two lenses they sell with the camera could be implemented, and their goal is to create a versatile unit. Their design is based upon the Logmar (and to a lesser extent Beaulieu) which both feature a standard C-mount, and it will not be implementing a Bolex-style prism-beam-splitter so there should be no need to change the flange-focal distance.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I have 5 or 6 c-mount lenses from my Kodak K-100 package that will be great to use on that camera. Looking forward to it.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

inlieubeaulieu wrote:
Lunar07 wrote:Let's hope it is a regular standard C-mount with 17.526mm flange focal distance.
oh, it undoubtedly will be a standard C-mount. creating a new form of C-mount lens would mean that only the two lenses they sell with the camera could be implemented, and their goal is to create a versatile unit. Their design is based upon the Logmar (and to a lesser extent Beaulieu) which both feature a standard C-mount, and it will not be implementing a Bolex-style prism-beam-splitter so there should be no need to change the flange-focal distance.
Good to know. I have a complete set of Switars and a Monital 8-26 c-mount zoom lens that seems perfect for this camera.
Is it true that it has a widened gate for 16:9 shooting?
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Will2 wrote:I have 5 or 6 c-mount lenses from my Kodak K-100 package that will be great to use on that camera. Looking forward to it.
I have set aside money for this camera. Spending never stops :))) Looking forward to it too.
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

Lunar07 wrote:Good to know. I have a complete set of Switars and a Monital 8-26 c-mount zoom lens that seems perfect for this camera.
Is it true that it has a widened gate for 16:9 shooting?
The camera should be Max-8mm, which is widened (much like Super-16mm) to a 1.58:1 aspect ratio... so not quite as wide as Super-16 (1.66) or 16:9 (1.77:1), but still a sizable increase in surface area.

I too have a (near-complete) set of Switar AR primes (10mm, 16mm, 25mm, 50mm), a Soligor f0.95 25mm lens, an odd Siemens 20cm mirror lens from the 30's, an old (30's, I believe) 25mm lens (with no focus ring) with a 2x anamorphic front unit, and two zoom lenses made for Beaulieu 5008s cameras (a Schneider-Kreuznach 1.4 6-70mm w/ an Aspheric III ultra-wide adapter, and an Angénieux 1.2 6-80mm)...

I've been collecting these for my Beaulieu 5008s MS (and my Beaulieu Reflex Control 16mm camera), but the light meter on the 5008s has just stopped working. Pretty perfect timing to pick up this new camera!

now I just need to find an Éclair ACL