What are you Lomo Tank guys using for bottles for each bath?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

slashmaster

What are you Lomo Tank guys using for bottles for each bath?

Post by slashmaster »

I've got a 50 foot Lomo tank that's supposed to be on its way from Russia. If I'm not mistaken, I'm supposed to use a 1.5 liter bottle for each bath the film needs. If I use bottles a lot bigger the bath goes bad at a faster pace from the air that's in it if I'm not mistaken. My question is what do I use? At first I was thinking 2 liter coke bottles but found 1.89 liter plastic apple juice bottles. Could probably put 1.5 liters in it and squeeze it a bit before putting the cap on. Anyone know of something closer?
Chris-B

Re: What are you Lomo Tank guys using for bottles for each b

Post by Chris-B »

I often use 2lt soft drink bottles. Just squeeze the air out, then put the lid on.
You don't need to use coke, any cheap plastic drink bottle will do :)
Just put them somewhere like a dark cupboard so the light won't get to them, as some chemistry is light sensitive so can't be sorted in the light for too long.

Remember to rip off the labels and clearly mark them as photo chemicals.
Probably not a good idea to use drink bottles if they are stored in a public place or if people with sight issues, children, drunk people..etc are around as they could be consumed in error.

To be on the safe side it maybe better to use collapsible photo chemestry bottles as there is less chance of them being mistaken for something consumable.
Collapsible photo chemistry bottles are also light tight, easy to squeeze the air out of and cheap too, you can usually get them for under £20 for 3 on eBay.

Best practice is to always use the same bottle for the same type of chemistry so have a dev, fix and stop bottle and only use them for that purpse. (I.e. Don't store dev is your fix bottle.)

Home processing is awesome and fun!
Good luck.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

slashmaster wrote:I've got a 50 foot Lomo tank that's supposed to be on its way from Russia. If I'm not mistaken, I'm supposed to use a 1.5 liter bottle for each bath the film needs. If I use bottles a lot bigger the bath goes bad at a faster pace from the air that's in it if I'm not mistaken. My question is what do I use? At first I was thinking 2 liter coke bottles but found 1.89 liter plastic apple juice bottles. Could probably put 1.5 liters in it and squeeze it a bit before putting the cap on. Anyone know of something closer?
HI Slash ,
What I do is use old chem Bottle of 1L for one film / Just give a good wash, It you need to take air out I use glass Marbles Old dark room trick :ymdevil:
aj

Post by aj »

slashmaster wrote:I've got a 50 foot Lomo tank that's supposed to be on its way from Russia. If I'm not mistaken, I'm supposed to use a 1.5 liter bottle for each bath the film needs. If I use bottles a lot bigger the bath goes bad at a faster pace from the air that's in it if I'm not mistaken. My question is what do I use? At first I was thinking 2 liter coke bottles but found 1.89 liter plastic apple juice bottles. Could probably put 1.5 liters in it and squeeze it a bit before putting the cap on. Anyone know of something closer?
DO NOT USE COMMON HOUSEHOLD FOOD OR DRINK CONTAINERS FOR PHOTOCHEMISTRY!
IT IS IRRESPONSIBLE AND IT WILL BE JUST WAITING FOR VERY SERIOUS ACCIDENTS TO HAPPEN.

Black and white bleach is very acid. Use gloves and safety glasses when working with that.
Do you want to take the risk somebody of your friends or relatives to take a sip from that?

One Super-8 film needs 600ml and two need about 1000ml
16mm need other volumes. Just test it with water. Make sure the tank is on a level surface.
Kind regards,

André