The new Muller HDS scanner, what do you think about that?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

supa8

Re: The new Muller HDS scanner, what do you think about that

Post by supa8 »

Great
Thanks for the thorough reply Frank.
And does it allow you to create ProRes from it then as well? also with the 8bit output limitation?
RCBasher

Post by RCBasher »

supa8 wrote:Great
Thanks for the thorough reply Frank.
And does it allow you to create ProRes from it then as well? also with the 8bit output limitation?
Cine2Digits will support any Windows DirectShow CODEC, but as far as I know, there isn't a ProRes one. I guess one could take 16bit TIFFs and post process to ProRes if required. Worth a look at the HQX white paper though: https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www ... AmT-meCT8Q

(I mistakenly typed HDX in my last post instead of HQX...been a long week!)
Off all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
RyanH

Post by RyanH »

Has anyone seen any examples of footage from their new machines? We're interested for the potential speed. The camera they advertise can do 160 frames per second, and even if there's some quality drop, for many of our customers who are still looking for bulk SD DVD transfers, even something like 90-120fps would be meaningful for us. The sound recording it another big selling feature as far as we're concerned.

We've been talking with them on-and-off over the last year about upgrading some of our equipment when their new machine comes out, but requests for example footage (particularly sound capture) have fallen on deaf ears.

On a related note, is anyone here going to be at IBC 2015 for the debut? I'm curious for first-hand impressions and not sure if I'm going to be able to make it out.
RCBasher

Post by RCBasher »

RyanH wrote:We're interested for the potential speed. The camera they advertise can do 160 frames per second, and even if there's some quality drop, for many of our customers who are still looking for bulk SD DVD transfers, even something like 90-120fps would be meaningful for us.
The headline camera speed is not at full bit depth and in external trigger mode. Besides, there are a few other things to think about when considering high speed transfers. The transport system is continuous motion and so the motion has to be "frozen" with the flash exposure, which is in the order of 50 to 100us on average, depending on the film density. I'll let you do the maths on how many camera lines a point on the film will travel over at your desired speed of 90+ fps with 100us exposure. Another problem is saving out the camera data to storage, especially if the RAW camera data is converted on the fly to RGB. I tested the IMX147 based camera on a top spec i7 PC with two fast SSDs in RAID 0 and it topped out at around 40fps before dropping frames. This was saving 16 bit sequenced TIFFs, so quite a hard test. I did not look into exactly where the bottleneck(s) was (were) because this speed is already way faster than it is practical to scan at due to film movement. I would suggest around 30fps as being a target fastest limit.
Off all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
RyanH

Post by RyanH »

Looks like Muller has started posting some examples from the new HDs scanner. No sound examples yet, but these look really solid. What do people think?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6xxtT ... malmCUQjog