I Saw The Light Today And It Was Lightning fast

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

I Saw The Light Today And It Was Lightning fast

Post by S8 Booster »

you may ask what zhis has to do with film or stuff related to this site - but there are some details an a thread.....

first - check this out: http://youtu.be/ViDZkrYRJyo?list=UU0oxE ... LKCsEL43wA - note the strobing effect on the train windows...
this may be from cam or transition to the tube - i do not know but my guess is that with a film shoot things would have come out better - the strobing seems to kind of stop the train.

this is a train currently undergoing tests in Japan and i shot this clip during my visit there.
the SCMAGLEV train passes at 500 km/h and the building was pushed backwards when the train passed.
this train was tested to 581 km/h in 2003.

a track is planned between Tokyo and Osaka - a distance of about 500 km at a estimated cost of $100 billion.

JR has offered a loan to USA to be used to build a similar train solution between Washington and NY. travel time would be 1 hour.

so what may be the connection to a film technology?

Well, the MLX01 SCMAGLEV technology is pretty unique in the way that the super conducting magnets are super conducting in normal temperatures an do not need to be cooled down to -170°C or so to be super conducting. that is pretty astonishing.
i draw a thin line to the late 70s when the Canon 1014 XLS was built. this was a super advanced camera launched just when the Super8 swan song set in.
very different from the prospect of MLX01 but anyhow a parallel showing a small taste of japanese high end technology now and then but of course there are and were a lot more than this.

anywayhow, shoot film.

oh that reminded me to place an order for s8 films - next time i will bring my film camera to Japan.

suppose you remember this guy to:http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~s8mmeiga/page035.html for a reference...
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
slashmaster

Re: I Saw The Light Today And It Was Lightning fast

Post by slashmaster »

Hate to disappoint you but a maglev like that coming to the USA will likely never happen, they've been talking about it for decades with nothing ever happening. However going to Japan to film that Maglev or going to Shanghai China to film the Shanghai maglev with a camera like a 1014 is a great idea!
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Re: I Saw The Light Today And It Was Lightning fast

Post by S8 Booster »

yeah i think the filmatic impression will be more powerful with any film format.

here is some promo info for the research project for the Wash - NY maglev: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVuOnbrIEKU&spfreload=10

may never happen but compared to airplane travel there should be a huge time saving in total travel time and most likely good for the environment.
of course only possible to build where there are high density populations...
very impressive stuff anyway.

Well, until then, shoot film - its so damn beautiful.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...