Robin Williams R.I.P

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Patrick

Robin Williams R.I.P

Post by Patrick »

A sad day indeed. Actor and comedian Robin Williams is dead at the age of 63.

Oh man, he will be sorely missed. I grew up watching him in Mork And Mindy. And he gave some unforgettable performances in the many roles he played in various movies - Good Morning Vietnam being one of my favourites.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/11/r ... ead-at-63/
carllooper

Re: Robin Williams R.I.P

Post by carllooper »

One of my favourite Williams films is 'One Hour Photo', where he plays the creepy manager of a supermarket photo-processing shop, privately obsessed with the life of a particular nuclear family which he indulges through the photographs they bring to his lab (to be processed). The film takes place in the last days before digital photography had become mainstream, but that is an aside.

On the critical side, which has nothing to do with Williams contribution, this film exploits a common assumption: the introvert as psychopath, and does nothing to deconstruct such. It will carry on the same tradition that Hitchcock taps in Psycho. It will be the brilliant 'American Psycho' (two years earlier) that shows how to reverse such assumptions.

But the film remains riveting nonetheless, and that is William's contribution.

Nanoo nanoo Mr Williams. Rest in Peace.

C
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

I cannot consider him as a good actor. Always played "himself". Anyway his smile seemed to catch everybody's eyes. That's all.
aj

Post by aj »

MIKI-814 wrote:I cannot consider him as a good actor. Always played "himself". Anyway his smile seemed to catch everybody's eyes. That's all.
You clearly didn't watch much of his work.
Kind regards,

André
Will2

Post by Will2 »

aj wrote:
MIKI-814 wrote:I cannot consider him as a good actor. Always played "himself". Anyway his smile seemed to catch everybody's eyes. That's all.
You clearly didn't watch much of his work.
Yeah, I'd have to say his dramatic work was often very far from rolls where he played "himself". Like in Dead Poets Society.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Good Will Hunting, Photo Booth and Insomnia are three examples of Robin Williams playing more serious roles which were quite a contrast to his usual comedic persona. I think Good Will Hunting in particular showed that he really could act and act well. The Oscar he won for that role was well deserved.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Always liked the fisher king , To dead heros , people we know on telesvison / films ,