Film 9: Film restoration software.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

chrisgavin

Film 9: Film restoration software.

Post by chrisgavin »

I just found this link and found it interesting ... The usual apologies if this has been posted already here.

http://letransfert.soforums.com/t809-FI ... -Films.htm

It's a French website showing software for restoring old cine films. The app is called 'Film 9'... Film Neuf i.e. It makes your old films like new again : )
My French isn't great, but there is mention of Virtual Dub, AviSynth and this together, so my guess is it's a 'front end' for making these processes easier. The software seems to apply Deshaking, Sharpening and Colour Corrections and the examples look pretty good.
There are links to download the software too, and an invitation to feedback to the developers, so I think this is an enthusiast project and well worth a look.

There's also a forum (at the URL above) and a Vimeo demo film showing some 'before & after' results can be found here...
https://vimeo.com/86192634#at=0

Of course we still need an affordable bit of hardware to capture the first frames first, but it's certainly worth a look.
Films made for you... www.chrisgavin.com
granfer

Re: Film 9: Film restoration software.

Post by granfer »

One of the links in the Forum produces this one

http://letransfertpellicule.free.fr/ind ... ilm-9.html

Lots and lots of great stuff ,,,,, but in French!
Boffee

Post by Boffee »

I have tried this software and it works great, similar results to VideoFred. I had to get my French dictionary out to find out what each button does though. Pity there is not an English version. Very helpful if you are not too good at Avisynth scripts because it is all hidden behind the scenes as it were and everything is adjustable with check boxes or sliders. I think the Fench developers need congratulating on making this work.
granfer

Post by granfer »

The authors are working on an English Version.
Gargamel

Post by Gargamel »

Hello,

As a member of "Le Transfert Pellicule" forum, I thank you for your interest.
Gelinox and GillesH, the authors of Film9, are advised that an English version will be appreciated :)
Gargamel

Post by Gargamel »

Obviously, the English version was ready..
More exactly, the new version is bilingual, French/English as you want. It's online today, as a RAR or ZIP file.
granfer

Post by granfer »

Stop Press! The English Version is now available.
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

Just had a play with it. Certainly makes cleaning your film a simple affair. I'm so used to using software with a zillion options it's quite strange using one with so few. But often that's all you need.

C
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
aj

Post by aj »

granfer wrote:Stop Press! The English Version is now available.
That is quick. Only two days past.
Kind regards,

André
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

That looks good. Is it free? can't find the English info anywhere, just that there is an English version.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
granfer

Post by granfer »

Yes, it's free. It's bilingual.... you choose the GUI interface. BUT the tutorial videos are French only.
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

The links on the website for the English version (or rather: multi-lingual version) are a little hard to find, but they are right down at the bottom of this page:

http://letransfertpellicule.free.fr/ind ... ilm-9.html

and look like this:
Now, this application is a multilingual version (English / French)
voici les liens :
Le fichier FILM9.RAR
Le fichier FILM9.ZIP
Let the installer install what it needs (Virtual Dub, AviSynth, Lagarith codec, etc).

Note that when using the software you always have to produce a dub under the 'Compliance' tab before proceeding to the 'Final Processing' tab. It needs to make a dub of your source (under Compliance) before it can make any of the further adjustments (such as degrain) available under Final Processing, ie. even if you don't want to change anything in your source with the options available under Compliance.

C
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I downloaded it but having trouble importing HD AVI files. SD or MP4 will work but get an avisynth error. Also it says it's not free, you only get a trial. The vids that i can get to load looked much better with just the auto color correct. I'd like to get the hang of it, or get it to work right.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
granfer

Post by granfer »

Quote ... "you only get a trial".... ???
I've had the French version on my Computer for some time and I have no mention of a "trial".
I've not had to give email address, nor other identifying details, nor received any "trial" coming to an end, nor any notifications of cost.
Are you sure that the reference is not to the fact that it is a "work in progress" (a trial program)? Some meanings can be "lost in translation"! My understanding is that the authors offer it as an experimental method of post-processing to Forum Members to simplify the process from the "individual program" (Avisynth plus VirtualDub etc.) approach (Videofred and others) and invite comments and suggestions from others to improve it.
I offered my interpretation of the GUI buttons in English form ... they seem to have been used extensively in the bi-lingual GUI. I also offered to supply idiomatic English translations of the Video scripts from supplied French written transcriptions (I'm useless with anything but the simplest spoken French!).
But I have found that interested English speaking experimenters are WELCOME ..... the authors and others can understand and write as good English as we might French. Join the Forum, use Google Translate for reading posts and ask your questions regarding your problems (even in English).
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

So far the only problems I've had with the software were caused by my first name (Jörg): I was using C:\Users\Jörg\Downloads\Film9\, G:\Jörg\Film\Test\, ... as paths. But the program doesn't like any letters that don't belong to the 7bit-ASCII-Standard. Only for one of the paths the program complained (in French). Since then I'm only using paths without "ö". And the program is working fine ever since.
(While changing the paths, I also noticed that I had an older version of AviSynth installed. I removed it - just in case ;-)
This space was left intenionally blank.