Ferrania hope to start film manufacture in 2014

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

markbaldry

Ferrania hope to start film manufacture in 2014

Post by markbaldry »

Found this today. Ferrania an Italian film manufacturing company are hoping to start manufacturing movie film next year if there is enough demand!

[url]http://www.filmkorn.org/ferrania-the-ne ... ogue-film/[\url]
marc

Re: Ferrania hope to start film manufacture in 2014

Post by marc »

I hope that the quality control of their perforations meets the Kodak gold standard.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
aj

Post by aj »

markbaldry wrote:Found this today. Ferrania an Italian film manufacturing company are hoping to start manufacturing movie film next year if there is enough demand!

http://www.filmkorn.org/ferrania-the-ne ... lmkorn.org is becoming a very interesting site very quickly.

The OP link is not working:
This one should http://www.filmkorn.org/ferrania-die-ne ... ilmhimmel/

Should be interesting. Ferrania has been a partner to 3M in Europe for decades. They have been manufacturing photographic film and paper for centuries :) And what more on ciné.

Perforating is not a problem. Finding all needed cartridge types may prove more of a problem. Although there is plenty fine machinery to be found.

I have exposed 40 year old Ferrania BW R8 which I found at a photofaire. With very nice result!
Kind regards,

André
aj

Post by aj »

marc wrote:I hope that the quality control of their perforations meets the Kodak gold standard.
How are things with the split up etc? Most importantly, have they found a buyer for the still photography film branche? Many would lke to keep Tri-X and to see Panatomic re-introduced. My last 30 meter roll is nearing the end.
Kind regards,

André
markbaldry

Post by markbaldry »

They say they are hoping to manufacture 16mm, Super8 & double 8.

This what they have to say:

Welcome
Hello and welcome to this mailing list.
Just a few words to thank everybody who subscribed, although no more than a single brand is shown at the moment on the Ferrania home page.

We think it is worth answering some questions that often arise on the discussion boards we are also following.

As you know, Ferrania discontinued its photographic products some years ago and after that some buildings and equipments were dismantled or sold because the destiny of film seemed to be compromised forever after introduction of digital. Obviously we dream to put the film in a new era where it can live in symbiosis with digital imaging technologies.

After more than one year of work, we are finally trying to start again with a small production of film. But rescaling a production workflow is not an easy process: some chemical products are not available anymore on the market, former Ferrania workers and engineers must be involved again in a completely new production workflow, etc.

We worked a lot on many of the above issues and now we are proud to say that the moment is arrived of really making film.

Right now there is a six month R&D project aiming to produce a first Jumbo of film. If during this period we are able to solve all the remaining technical issues and if the market gives us a reasonable preliminary feedback, we will be ready to go ahead and ship new film in the first quarter of 2014!

Ok, now the question is: what kind of film?
We think it is better to start revamping the very last produced emulsions. The first two that we will make are a color negative film derived from Ferrania Solaris FG-100 Plus (only for still photographs) and a professional color reversal film derived from Scotch Chrome 100.

And which formats?
We have the equipment to finish film in almost all photographic and motion picture formats: 110, 120, 126, 127, 135, 220, Super 8, Double 8, 16mm, 35mm and 70mm but at first we will put on line only the ones that are requested by the market.

More details are coming, please continue to follow us!

Cheers

The FILM Ferrania team
verydarkroom

Post by verydarkroom »

Apparently "new" Ferrania can produce their new films in all formats, including D8, S8, 16 etc. But of course what formats they will produce will be limited to what they perceive "the market" would buy. The still shooters over on Flickr and other groups have already started making lots of noise for their formats vis the Ferrania mailing list and the direct contact. And it seems Ferrania is listening.

If you haven't already done so, now's the time to contact them to produce some cine smallformat;

http://www.filmferrania.it/contact/
grainy

Post by grainy »

very exciting, thanks for posting!
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

Yes, this is certainly very good news. Especially the part about them having been able to solve many problems related to downsizing the production, which is crucial for film to survive in this new landscape. If Ferrania is able to start the production next year it might become the color equivalent of Harman Ilford, company loved by many. :)
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

For some enthusiasm, see the comments on this page: http://www.filmferrania.it/blog/2013/7/ ... 675bdf85c7
Nicola Baldini about 5 hours ago

Cinema small formats will be one of our first goals!
marc

Post by marc »

I'll bet that the Italian film makers out there are in hog heaven being that this is in their own back yard!
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
Maurizio Di Cintio

Post by Maurizio Di Cintio »

Spot on, Marc.
markbaldry

Post by markbaldry »

More information released today. Here are the technical details of the Reversal film. Processing looks to be E6. The reply I received from Ferrania looks like 16mm will be first, other formats later depending on demand.

This is what Ferrania have to say.
CHROME!
Nicola Baldini | August 1, 2013

Hi all, I am reading as much as possible the users' feedbacks to our announcement in many forums from all parts of the world. I was pretty sure that a new reversal film would have been really appreciated both from photographers and filmmakers so I think it's worth to give some further technical details.

The new film is a re-engineered version of the Scotch Chrome 100 previously produced by the IMATION company and it does not have anything in common with the old 3M slide film from '70s. Is was a modern film available in three speeds: 100, 640 and 800/3200 ISO that we are going to reintroduce on the market in an improved version and finished also in motion picture small formats.

Just for reference here it is the original IMATION Scotch Chrome 100 Technical Sheet.

Enjoy!
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

RMS 13?!?! Yikes!!!!

Compare its graininess with other slide-films:
RMS 8: Ektachrome 100D; Velvia 100/100F; Provia 100F; ...
RMS 9: Velvia/Velvia 50
RMS 11: Provia 400X
RMS 12: Aviphot Chrome 200 PE1
This space was left intenionally blank.
Tofek

Post by Tofek »

They say the recipe of the former ScotchChrome has been modified, let's hope the grain will be reduced...otherwise we'll have a nice vintage slide film, just like in the 70's :)
markbaldry

Post by markbaldry »

Don't understand some people. I'd rather have a grainy film than nothing at all and have stop film making!