Expiry Date?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

vidwerk

Expiry Date?

Post by vidwerk »

I have purchased alot of super 8 stock from Kodak Canada. I notice the jitter problem in quite a few cases and wish to try and return the unused rolls for ones with a new expiry date. However, the current rolls I have don't seem to have an expiry date printed on them, just a sequence of numbers(7 digits) that don't resemble a date. If for some reason I get new film from Kodak, how can I be certain that they are free of jitter if theres no date? Can anyone help?

Thanks, Simon :idea:
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Expirydate

Post by S8 Booster »

Expiry date will not solve the issue alone. I have got bad and good carts with the same expiry date because it is related to the production date of the film material, not the cartridge.

If you do not have the production number available:
all cartridges
> numbered 3631 7768 onwards should be free of this
> problem.
it is difficult to know precisely but the mechanical noise is very different on a bad cart compared to a good cart and the outer surface seem to be lubricated with some silicone like stuff that I believe they use inside the cart and on the film for lubrication.

The bad carts are very noisy and have a noticable "dry" surface like as if your finger "sticks" to it when you rub it. If you have a bad and a good one to compare it is very easy to notice the difference.

The mechanical noise with the good carts are very even and smooth while the bad ones makes and uneven "jerky" noise. That is my experience anyway.

It is very easy to hear and feel the difference when shooting if you have a bad and a good one to compare.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...