Colour Negative Cross Processed in E-6

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

woods01

Colour Negative Cross Processed in E-6

Post by woods01 »

Inspired by Richard's comment on developing colour neg in E-6 I decided to do a test this week. I had some years old Fuji 8683 400T that was used for this. The results are pretty encouraging. The first sample was overexposed 1 stop and pushed 2 stops:
IMG_8299.jpg
The 2nd test was exposed normally and pushed 3 stops:
IMG_8306.jpg
There is a golden hue to the film but the first sample is much better than the 2nd. To remove the remjet I soaked the film in borax for about 1 minute. After about 30+ seconds the remjet just falls away from the film. I was just doing 10 foot long strip tests in buckets so a better removal method would need to be done but it was pretty encouraging with how good it looked without any fancy mechanical processes. The chemistry was kept at temperature by getting it up to temp and then occasionally adding small amounts of boiled water from a kettle. It was pretty loose and unscientific (apart from a good thermometer) and the results I think are pretty great.

I'll try to get the film transferred in January, these stills were just taken over a light table with a digital macro function. Hopefully the website let the attachments work!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marc

Re: Colour Negative Cross Processed in E-6

Post by marc »

I think that it looks pretty good and I don't think that the hew is overly pronounced. Good enough to view on a projector and it can be telecined later if you like.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
livio

Post by livio »

Looks very interesting. While shooting did you leave the 80A filter in, or not?
regards
Livio
marc

Post by marc »

Does the process have any effect on the graininess of the film?
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
woods01

Post by woods01 »

This film was 400T and I did not use a filter be it 80A or 85. I shot it indoors in a room next to the darkroom that I was using that had a floodlight available for some quick and dirty lighting. There was also an overhead florescent light in the room so it was by no means cleanly lit.

Pushing film and cross processing does exaggerate grain, and that film was several years old. I havn't done enough tests to really say how badly it affects the grain. I was more interested in trying to see if I could get a useable image out of it and if it would be good enough for projection. I have yet to project it but it looked great on a steenbeck editor.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

The results are looking very promising. Out of curiosity, when you develop negative film in E6, do you lose the wide exposure latitude benefits that are normally associated with neg film? For example, if you accidentally overexposed the film by about a stop or two and had it transferred, would you be able to bring back all the detail and colour and achieve good density? Or would it be just as problematic as trying to correct overexposed reversal film? I'm assuming the latter.
woods01

Post by woods01 »

I've only done the one test but I would say that the film now has the narrow latitude of normal reversal film. The test was shot in controlled conditions and I did need to gain an extra 3 stops to get this image.
peaceman

Post by peaceman »

Awesome -- I just was referred to this by a friend, somehow hadn't see it yet. The funny thing is that I spent the weekend with the same idea. :)
See/read here for details: http://www.filmvorfuehrer.de/topic/1600 ... ntry182717

You might wanna try Google Translate if you care about the details.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Maybe this sounds crazy, but if Kodak starts a Vision 4 line it would be cool if it could be process friendly as a neg or a reversal?
Reborn member since Sept 2003