Glenn Brady - Inaugural UltraPan8 test roll w/ E100D

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Nicholas Kovats

Glenn Brady - Inaugural UltraPan8 test roll w/ E100D

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

It is my pleasure to introduce the inagural UP8 test roll of a new US based UltraPan8 filmmaker by the name of Glenn Brady.

And what a test roll! I suspect these stupendous ultrawide images will generate a tangible excitment. These careful classic tripod mounted compositions are breathtaking. A slightly wider version of classic Cinemascope if you may.

Glenn shot these UP8 images in beautiful Chimney Rock State Park in North Carolina, USA with a variety of 1.9mm, 3.5mm, 5.9mm and 500mm lenses. The 500mm shot of the moon's surface is glorious.

http://vimeo.com/39870129

Please note that the visible registration issue is being assessed by Jean-Louis Seguin in Montreal. Technical issues not withstanding the compositional beauty of these UP8 images in my opinion supersede them.
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
bakanosaru

Re: Glenn Brady - Inaugural UltraPan8 test roll w/ E100D

Post by bakanosaru »

Some of the best UP8 footage I've seen so far.

This has probably been discussed before but... what does one need to 'build' a camera?
(A bolex H16rx & a H8?) How much does the conversion cost? Etc...
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Looks good - just try deshaker to get the stabilisation right. Also is that a tiny bit of chromatic abberation in the bottom left (I've only seen the first bit of the clip with the creek) -- I imagine you'd need some really good lenses to keep everything sharp under this process

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Nicholas Kovats

bakanosaru wrote:Some of the best UP8 footage I've seen so far.

This has probably been discussed before but... what does one need to 'build' a camera?
(A bolex H16rx & a H8?) How much does the conversion cost? Etc...
Thank you "bakanosaru".

Either a Bolex RX H8 or H16 camera. Jean-Louis Seguin can now start with an H16 cam if that is what one has. Both models are utilized in the UP8 conversion process. Therefore the most cost effective conversion is if you have both. But it is not a requirement.

Considering the variability and permutations involved it is best to contact to Jean-Louis Seguin directly for a quote specific to your needs and/or personal equipment on hand, i.e. bolextech@gmail.com

Prices range from $400 to $900 and up...dependent on your current resources on hand.
Nicholas Kovats
Nicholas Kovats

Scotness wrote:Looks good - just try deshaker to get the stabilisation right. Also is that a tiny bit of chromatic abberation in the bottom left (I've only seen the first bit of the clip with the creek) -- I imagine you'd need some really good lenses to keep everything sharp under this process

Scot
Hi Scot.

Glenn and I made a mutual decision to display his footage "warts and all". The beauty of the UP8 footage transcends the tech issues in my opinion. That being said I am aware of software solutions to the jitter but they come at the expense of total resolution. I prefer determining and correcting the root cause.

Keep in mind that the UP8 format utilizes the best part of any c-mount lenses - the optical center. You would be surprised at the quality achieved with less-famous lenses. My 1950's Lytar being one example.
Nicholas Kovats
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

freedom4kids wrote: Hi Scot.

Glenn and I made a mutual decision to display his footage "warts and all". The beauty of the UP8 footage transcends the tech issues in my opinion. That being said I am aware of software solutions to the jitter but they come at the expense of total resolution. I prefer determining and correcting the root cause.
Yeah I don't know how you would solve that mechanically - I think the Nikon R10 and R8 are the only pin registered Super 8 cameras -- there's also the Andec pressure plate you could try. I think solving it in software is the best solution and you could really over scan it (over 2K) so when you crop down as part of the stabilistion process you won't really be losing any resolution and could still bring it down to HD 1920x1080

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Nicholas Kovats

Scot,

Don't forget the Mekel Engineered 250 FPS VIC SP-1 Super 8 High Speed camera. It has double pin registration with two synchronized pull down claws (digital servo loopback system).

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Visual_ ... e_8_Camera

Glenn and I both have one. His works. I should ask him if I can scan his test footage. That would be a fascinating registration comparison.

I trust that Jean-Louis will be able to determine the root cause. The fact is my UP8 camera is fine from a registration perspective.

Check out Carl (software engineer) Looper's registration correction effect on Glenn's UP8 footage, i.e. http://vimeo.com/39958154. I suspect he used the timecode window as a reference point.

More UP8 news forthcoming. :)

Cheers!

Nicholas
Nicholas Kovats
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

Scotness wrote: . . . there's also the Andec pressure plate you could try.
The Andec device is intended for use with cartridge-loading Super 8 cameras, so it won't work in the Bolex H8 RX4 UltraPan8 camera, which uses film 16mm in width and has its own pressure plate.
Nicholas Kovats

Scot,

I stand corrected.

I re-examined my camera this morning and in fact the VIC SP1 utilizes single pin and claw registration. I also noticed that the pressure plate located above the pin + claw is removable. It is spring loaded and appears to be slightly concave.

This camera warrants serious investigation and we may have some test footage uploaded in the near future.

Regards,

Nicholas
Nicholas Kovats