Persuading the film manufacturers for Sound Super 8?

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
erkanumut

Persuading the film manufacturers for Sound Super 8?

Post by erkanumut »

Super 8 is alive, OK, I know today's technology offers good solutions for double-system sound, but what about re-manufacturing of Super 8 Sound cartridges, etc.?
We all have paid many bucks for our sound cameras in heydays. Now they are selling at bloody cheap prices on auction sites... Well, we can shoot silent film with them, too.
In a world that selling 9.5mm films, is my request funny?
Any ideas?
Thank you!
etimh

Re: Persuading the film manufacturers for Sound Super 8?

Post by etimh »

Well, this is one of those fantasy scenarios that we've all thought about and wished for at some time or another. Kodak will never return to producing sound carts--they stopped way back in 1997 because of the environmental hazards involved. The technology might have changed and it probably could be done safely today but, like so many other decisions they've made over the last few years, money would be the deciding factor and it would never be economically feasible for them to start up sound carts again--just not enough potential users.

Someone could possible sound stripe film themselves and load carts--I think there is a guy in Spain who is doing it with Single 8 carts--but that has its own troubles associated with it and I'm not sure he's doing it for commercial sales. Ultimately, the problem is the lack of satisfying results with sound on film cartridges. They're kind of interesting for the novelty of hearing synch sound with your movies but the quality was never that great and you can't really do any easy editing of the footage. Here's a link to a film made with the Spanish guy's loaded Single 8 sound film: http://vimeo.com/18753582

Tim