Lomography introduces handcranked 35mm Lomokino Movie Camera

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Patrick

Re: Lomography introduces handcranked 35mm Lomokino Movie Ca

Post by Patrick »

I think that next, Lomography should produce a three strip 'technicolor' camera :lol:
granfer

Post by granfer »

Definitely...... that would seem adequately lunatic to me. 8) 8)

( just had a thought.... LOMO?..... are we spelling it correctly? shouldn't it be "LOCO"?)
CelluloidDisco

Post by CelluloidDisco »

Thought I'd chip in...

Yes its a plastic toy.
Yes the frame rate is crap
Yes I'm sure scanning and cropping will be a pain
Yes lomography have a rep for being overpriced and overhyped

...but I'm going to get one for my 6 year old son. It'll be a pleasure to stay up after hours scanning end editing so he can watch what he shot. And if I can persuade some black and white, I'll do the developing too.
Its a simple device to introduce the magic of creating moving images - not a camera revolution like the marketing implies.
Aaron_M

Post by Aaron_M »

Does anyone know if the shooting speed(s) for this camera are governed between 4-6 frames per second, or can you turn the crank as fast as you would like? It looks like some of the sample films on Vimeo were shot at around 12 frames per second, and scanned with a much more accurate frame registration. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron
grainy

Post by grainy »

Today on the lomo site there's a video -- there's a lot of pontificating but there is an unboxing and you get to hear the thing in action for a few frames. It appears from the vid that one turn of the crank = one frame, and it makes a loud POP like a plastic film camera shutter. To me, this says it'd be quite hard to modify the current thing to make it shoot faster -- maybe a step gear would help, but the shutter type doesn't sound like something that could stand up to 16 frames a second indefiniately. But then, the video isn't super helpful...
http://www.lomography.com/magazine/revi ... e-lomokino
granfer

Post by granfer »

WOW! Well I got something out of that...

1. The "unboxing" was GREAT!!!!
2. The only thing that moves when you are using it is the camera itself.
3. You can use it to produce "flicker books" (Now where have I heard that before?????)
4. The demonstrator did a fine job of convincing himself... but I'm not sure he knew what he was convincing himself of!!!!
5. The demonstrator did a c**p job of convincing anybody else; I don't think he understood what he was talking about.... and I'm SURE nobody else did!!!!
6. In using this as a publicity video/ marketing tool LOMO has put its own big foot in its own big mouth.

Now, Roger said something about some people not understanding "irony". Roger, are you mixing "irony" with "satire"????.... because this video could be interpreted as LOMO laughing (all the way to the bank) behind its hand at the gullible consumer.

I rest my case......
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

granfer wrote:
Now, Roger said something about some people not understanding "irony". Roger, are you mixing "irony" with "satire"????.... because this video could be interpreted as LOMO laughing (all the way to the bank) behind its hand at the gullible consumer.

I rest my case......
Well, it's one thing to have something like the LOMO produce jumpy images, which it is clearly designed to do, and quite another to have a nice Beaulieu S8 produce jumpy images, which it isn't designed to do. Irony is anyone that puts up with the latter while making fun of the former. ;)

Roger
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL - this is so funny!
Roger - Can you please check the thread 'Using Small Apertures"? Do you remember the link you posted once on using miniatures that in the final product would look life-size against regular life-size backgrounds (houses, streets, etc...). I remember the link had pictures of an explosion that made to look so real - it was an exploding house, something like that - do you have that link?
MovieStuff wrote:
granfer wrote: Well, it's one thing to have something like the LOMO produce jumpy images, which it is clearly designed to do, and quite another to have a nice Beaulieu S8 produce jumpy images, which it isn't designed to do. Irony is anyone that puts up with the latter while making fun of the former. ;)
Roger
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

granfer wrote:4. The demonstrator did a fine job of convincing himself... but I'm not sure he knew what he was convincing himself of!!!!
5. The demonstrator did a c**p job of convincing anybody else; I don't think he understood what he was talking about.... and I'm SURE nobody else did!!!!
I quite don't get why are you wasting so much effort an typing in trying to convince others that they are stupid. Maybe a demonstration video in a website of yours would help too. Come on... sure you have better things to do, don't you?
granfer

Post by granfer »

Lunar 07.....
I didn't say what you have credited me with, Roger did!

MIKI-814.......
I'm not spending time trying to convince people that THEY are stupid; I'm spending time trying to convince people that the PRODUCT is stupid. (and pointless!!).
BUT.... we have a saying in the UK.... "if the cap fits.....". Anyone?

Yes, I have better things to do... which is why I don't have a Website or post videos on anybody else's Website.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Duplicate post.............
Last edited by Lunar07 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Duplicate post.......................
Last edited by Lunar07 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

granfer wrote:Lunar 07.....
I didn't say what you have credited me with, Roger did!
Hey granfer -
What do you mean. I do not understand your statement.
I agree with you on most points. I watched that video, and I think it is down right silly. I was laughing all the way through it. But then I come from an old school - my first camera was a 120 roll camera when I was 6 I believe. In addition to a 110 pocket camera. The guy in the video is addressing an audience that does not know what a roll of film is. Very young crowd. To them this whole thing maybe exciting. I understand this perspective. What I do not understand is how OLD School photo people will succumb into seeing something novel in this and to start calling it 'Analog shooting' hahahaha................ and start some comparison with Aaton and Panavision :D So, it is all relative - perspective wise that is. The video and all this marketing blitz may make sense to someone who sees the novelty in this, in the roll of film and the art of shooting, that WE start calling by 'Analog shooting.' How I hate this word.

BUT Roger has a way with saying things - it is funny in a sad way.
We all pursure VAIN things, all in his/her own ways. And amazing to see some brandishing their vanity to attack other vanities :D

Then it got me thinking - what is movie shooting? Is a flicker book a movie? In a way it is! Remeber the Edison machine? This was movies. A fine line separates still photography from movies. Composition, plot? But this can be related via stills! Remember the French film La Jetée (1962)? 12 Monkeys is a modern remake of it. La Jetée is a series of stills.
Sometimes, one still photo can tell you an entire story.

LOMO machine should be taken for what it is, something directed toward a very young crowd, for which WE can find some use for - if someone wants to.
granfer

Post by granfer »

Just to clarify... in your post earlier (Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:52 am) you said "Moviestuff said" and then you quoted HIM under the line "granfer said".
I'm not complaining, but it rather spoilt the point you were putting over!
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Yes, you are right. I was quoting Moviestuff. I forgot to remove your name.
I even posted my last post three times by mistake :D
granfer wrote:Just to clarify... in your post earlier (Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:52 am) you said "Moviestuff said" and then you quoted HIM under the line "granfer said".
I'm not complaining, but it rather spoilt the point you were putting over!