Home movie day

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

camera8mm

Home movie day

Post by camera8mm »

I was wondering if anyone attended one of the home movie day screenings around the world.
One of the events here is the US had the right intention but it was poorly attended and the film handling was no so great.
BAC

Re: Home movie day

Post by BAC »

I had not heard about it, do you have more information? Was it film or multiple formats? Did they project film or use video?
BAC

Post by BAC »

FYI, I found the link to the web site, I wish I had known about it. I wonder how the turnout was in other areas.

http://www.homemovieday.com/index.html
unsanity

Post by unsanity »

Yes, I managed to catch two parts of the three at the EYE Film museum in Vondel Park, Amsterdam. The main Home movie Day was in Hilversum but the EYE showed some winning home movies from previous years and a small presentation of old home movie gear and a talk.
Apparently is wasn't as crowded as hoped but I had a fantastic time.

Coincidently, two days later (today) I've been given a big box of regular 8 films of an Amsterdams family whom I do not know.
I have started checking the films out. So far, some of the films date from 1957 and I'm impressed with the quality that was possible and the colours of Kodakchrome.
I have several more evenings of checking these films out and I will certainly be attending Home Movie Day next year.

Julian.
Bolex Collector

Post by Bolex Collector »

Sorry to hear the one you attended didn't go so well.

That seems to be the case with the occasional few, but many seem to have a very well attended crowd. I've yet to attend one myself, unfortunately. I live in Atlanta, and the closest one was in Athens, GA which was held once or twice and then stopped several years ago. I don't think interest was high enough to continue it.

I'd love to be able to help organize one here in Atlanta, but I've had no luck in raising interest among the people I know locally.

It's a shame... some of these old movies are amazing to watch. I have kodachrome color 8mm and 16mm films from the late 1930s and early 40s (family vacation movies of locations around the United States). It's so interesting to see places in the 1930s, in vivid color... not to mention old trains, cars, architecture, advertising and clothing fashions. I regularly attend estate sales and always seem to find old film reels lying around... shame to think these little pieces of history could end up in the trash when the house is cleared out.