My processing adventures

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Pj

My processing adventures

Post by Pj »

Hi

I couldn't wait to share, I have successfully managed to process Super 8 film in the Jobo ATL 1000 and have got excellent results. I have documented this here http://www.lightbreeze.co.uk/Processing ... ntures.htm pictures to follow soon.

P
unsanity

Re: My processing adventures

Post by unsanity »

Very clever and effective Pj., well done.
I can hardly wait for the photos so I can see the details better.
Julian.
woods01

Post by woods01 »

Yes, looking forward to the pictures, congratulations on the effort!

Just what were the problems you were having with the Lomo tank?
Pj

Post by Pj »

Thanks.

I have uploaded photos of the rack now, I will do some more. The Lomo tank was fine really, loading was tricky, but time consuming and keeping check on the tempreture was not always the best as I'd forget and then there was rotating the spiral I was not sure how much I should do it. Because I'm teaching I needed a quick solution something that would interest students, todays generations are really keen on immediacy and I just wanted a portable automatic solution.

P
Nrk

Post by Nrk »

Hey Pav, well done. Keep up the good work!
wolferic

Post by wolferic »

congratulations Pav. this is something that I have been interested in for quite awhile since I also teach film processing, have a Jobo ATL and am planning to start processing E6 as well as black and white reversal.

I can't seem to find your photos, however. Can you put up a new link?

Thanks and keep up the good work.
timpppa

Post by timpppa »

Awesome job! Can you provide better (larger) photos from the reels?
woods01

Post by woods01 »

How long does it take to develop a roll? What are you doing about drying the film?
Pj

Post by Pj »

I haven’t timed everything exactly, but the developing takes just under an hour, drying can take longer.

First, I mix the chemicals and store them in 1-litre bottles [so far I have used 500ml for each Super 8 reel but I think I can use less so I will be trying it with 330ml, this way a single 1 litre solution will develop 3 reels]. I pour 500ml of chemistry in the machine and get the machine ready. So far I have used the 3 bath kits for E6.

Second, I load the rack in the dark; it’s quite easy and takes only a few minutes. Once the film is secured on the rack I put the rack in the drum and switch the lights on, the drum is then put in the machine and I press the button for it to start.

The ATL takes about 30 minutes to process one reel, after the processing has finished a beep goes off and I switch the ATL off and remove the tank. The film is now processed but with E6 there is one final step.

The final step is using the stabilizer, for this I wind the film onto another rack. This is a single rack it’s longer and is about 45 cm long, it’s made of Perspex like the processing racks and the rods except one have slots/channels machined into them. Once all the film has been loaded into this I place this rack into a Jobo 4551 drum and pour the stabilizer solution. I slowly and manually roll the drum on the table for about 5 minutes then I take the rack out.

Drying, I slide out the rod that hasn’t got slots/channels this makes the film a bit loose and takes care of film shrinkage during drying. I place the rack on a holder, which is motorised and it slowly rotates in front of a heater blowing warm dry air. I was inspired by the drying rack that I had seen on Vimeo made by a member here - Peaceman. I haven’t timed the drying process.

P
Pj

Post by Pj »

Hi

Jut a quick update; http://www.lightbreeze.co.uk/PROCESSING ADVENTURES 2.htm , I think if you save the pictures they're quite large.

P
Pj

Post by Pj »

Hi

Hust a quick update; http://www.lightbreeze.co.uk/PROCESSING ADVENTURES 2.htm I think if you save the picture it's quite large.

P