Anyone going to see Super 8, the movie?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

super8man

Anyone going to see Super 8, the movie?

Post by super8man »

Planning on taking the kids tomorrow. Looks fun. I would expect 100% attendance from this forum...
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
slashmaster

Re: Anyone going to see Super 8, the movie?

Post by slashmaster »

I likely will. :)
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

How why not? Anyway Spielberg films are very childish and predictable ...but this is Super8 and film promotion!
etimh

Post by etimh »

I saw it this morning--okay fun movie.

Some good shots of the Eumig they start out with and some interesting stuff inside the camera shop when they're trying to get the footage processed. Whole thing begins to digress a bit as it moves toward the conclusion. Still, a good time.

Make sure and stay for the closing credits!

Tim
BK

Post by BK »

Oh yeah, looking forward to it when it comes out here in Asia, just the name is a pulling factor, I'll take the Mrs too...don't remember the last time we went to a theatre to see a movie together, it's that long. Hope it doesn't get dubbed into the local language or have these huge subtitles.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Looking forward to seeing this one on the big screen.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Years ago, there was a Disney TV episode where they had some kids making a vampire movie on Super 8 in an old light house only to find that some local thieves were using the lighthouse for other things, etc. Anyway, the premise was fun but they were shooting on what looked like Kodachrome in this old light house. And then later, of course, they're "projecting" their footage and what they see on the screen is obviously 35mm or 16mm footage with perfect lighting and slow motion, no less! All by available light? Yeah, right....

I know that the new "Super 8" movie will be fun but the previews show kids also shooting in the middle of the night on what had to be, at best, ASA 160 film stock. Not being picky but I hope the producers don't promote the same unrealistic depiction of what shooting 8mm reversal film is like or the results you get when shooting by available light in a dark venue.

But, yeah, I'll go see it.... :)

Roger
etimh

Post by etimh »

MovieStuff wrote:Years ago...
Yeah, there is some stretching of the possible in some of the scenes. But in the one sequence you are referring to, where the kids are shooting at night at the the train station, they actually do set up some supplemental lights for the shoot.

And I think you're right, the boxes (actually never shown clearly but still an important plot point) of the film they seem to be using are Ektachrome sound carts (they are definitely shooting single system sound). So definitely ASA 160 at best.

Tim
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Going to see it tomorrow.
Had my first 'after seeing the movie I want to dust off my old super 8' enquiry this morning. I wonder how much of that there will be!
richard
'
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Hey Richard, I wonder if you're going to get a significant increase in film purchase orders and processing after this movie has done it's rounds. Looking forward to the bigger workload? :)
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

G'day Patrick,
I suspect any increase in interest will be pretty temporary. You know how briefly big budget films sit in the cinema for these days - after a couple of weeks, the buzz is gone. But yes, a little extra coming in would be o.k. with me. I am pretty easy going when it comes to volume.
Are you able to post me that roll of the Kangaroo for me to play with on 16?
all the best,
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
reflex

Post by reflex »

super8man wrote:Planning on taking the kids tomorrow. Looks fun. I would expect 100% attendance from this forum...
Yup, I'm gonna take The Kid. It's not released until August 5th in the UK, so I'll be a few weeks late to the party.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Will2

Post by Will2 »

the previews show kids also shooting in the middle of the night on what had to be, at best, ASA 160 film stock.
Exactly what I was thinking... but then when I walk out in the morning I think about film speeds instead of sunny or cloudy.

I hope Kodak has their act together and does some sort of promotion. They would be really stupid not to.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

richard p. t. wrote:G'day Patrick,
Are you able to post me that roll of the Kangaroo for me to play with on 16?
all the best,
richard
Yea, sorry about the delay. I haven't been able to view the end of the film roll as I am still waiting for the spool to arrive from an eBay seller. And I had forgotten that you sell spools too! May have been quicker getting one from you.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Anybody see it in Imax? I have a gift card that the wife and I are waiting to use to see "Super 8" in Imax after it has been out awhile and the crowds are smaller.