Lomo

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

john59

Lomo

Post by john59 »

Apart from the lomo tanks is there any other tanks / methods of processing 8mm film.
I find it fascinating as to how the process works and would like to have a go myself someday.
beamascope

Re: Lomo

Post by beamascope »

http://www.peaceman.de/blog/index.php/i ... ssing-tank

You could try this or build something similar depending on if it's Super 8 or Double 8.
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

In a bucket!

Just chuck the film in (ok, it is a little more complicated than that) and this is what you get...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5piehXlIEE

pretty cool if you ask me!
aj

Post by aj »

- There are long roll 8 and 16mm (from the past only :( ) spiral tanks from Jobo, Superior inc and possibly others. There is even a homebrew spiral somewhere :)
- There is bucket processing as mentioned. Just unwind the film into a bucket as a bowl of spaghette and soak it in the baths.
- rewind processing in a Morse and others
- processing in hose (of full or half filmlength)
- on a rack, dunked or rotating. Even in a machine rotated tank.

Too many, there is plenty of documentation on Internet and on this forum.
Kind regards,

André
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

110mm film reels, spiral, fit 8mm film but only short lengths. Lomo reels are white plastic and are longer than the stainless steel reels. They are good for testing how to develop movie film.
aj

Post by aj »

Mentioned in the Fomapn thread...

Here some spiral loading on vimeo
http://www.vimeo.com/7964915

When loading a spiral get a fixed hub to keep the spiral in place on your desk. Or get some holder.

Considering the poor preparation for the demo it makes you wonder how he gets anything right in the dark :) And without fingerprints.

And when loading Kodak cartridges get some solid fixing of the shell. Otherwise you will yank off the side when taking it from the camera. And your film screwed up.
Kind regards,

André
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

aj wrote:- There are long roll 8 and 16mm (from the past only :( ) spiral tanks from Jobo, Superior inc and possibly others. There is even a homebrew spiral somewhere :)
- There is bucket processing as mentioned. Just unwind the film into a bucket as a bowl of spaghette and soak it in the baths.
- rewind processing in a Morse and others
- on a rack, dunked or rotating. Even in a machine rotated tank.

Too many, there is plenty of documentation on Internet and on this forum.

The idea of doing this in a hose has sparked my interest! I have an old roll of plus X 16mm that I'd love to shoot but would rather not blow the money on processing since I have no idea of how this film was kept. Pretty sure it was just in the B&H 70DL case with the camera for the past 30+ years. I do have a darkroom and process plus x 35mm and 120 pretty often. My question is in order to get a negative of this old movie film do I simply process it the same way I would plus x 35mm? I assume the answer is yes. I know that there are several more steps in order to make it a positive but with a roll as old as this just getting a negative would be fine with me. Thanks
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

Do a short test first. Rip off a few inches and put into developer and see how long it takes to get black. Something less than that time will be how long to develop. It may be done in the light.
Big developing houses do such short tests first.
aj

Post by aj »

beamascope wrote:
aj wrote:-
um.

The idea of doing this in a hose has sparked my interest! I have an old roll of plus X 16mm that I'd love to shoot but would rather not blow the money on processing since I have no idea of how this film was kept. Pretty sure it was just in the B&H 70DL case with the camera for the past 30+ years. I do have a darkroom and process plus x 35mm and 120 pretty often. My question is in order to get a negative of this old movie film do I simply process it the same way I would plus x 35mm? I assume the answer is yes. I know that there are several more steps in order to make it a positive but with a roll as old as this just getting a negative would be fine with me. Thanks
Processing procedures are very much alike and described in many places :)

When applying the hose method think first how to get the film in, how to fill and agitate. Practice before going live!
Don't underestimate the needed quantity of liquid. It may seem a little but a hose of 7,5 meter for 16mm wide film will take a considerable amount.
Kind regards,

André
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

OK it might be a few weeks but I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the advice. Now I just have to decide if I should bother trying to pull off the simplest 1 roll story I can come up with or just shoot some stuff. :D
woods01

Post by woods01 »

studiocarter wrote:Do a short test first. Rip off a few inches and put into developer and see how long it takes to get black. Something less than that time will be how long to develop. It may be done in the light.
Big developing houses do such short tests first.
That's an interesting method to try for aged & unknown films, thank you! I usually do a few strip tests of different times when experimenting with push/pull processing or non standard developers. That method sounds like it will make it easier to guess developer time.

I've never tried the hose method, sounds like a nightmare trying to load the thing! I've had enough problems with the lomo tank which can be easy to screw up in the dark.
Mana

Post by Mana »

Bucket Processing sounds much easier than using a hose. I would opt to try that out first.
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

I figured I'd run a piece of mechanics wire up the hose and attach the end of the film to it and pull it back through off the spool. When it reaches the other end either just process half OR run the wire up the hose again NOT on the side of the emulsion and pull the second half through with the emulsion sides facing outwards. Having some type of light tight bag on each end of the hose...Or I could just shoot video! :lol:
I'll fill the hose with water to see how much it actually holds as it might be WAY more than a bucket.
aj

Post by aj »

Mana wrote:Bucket Processing sounds much easier than using a hose. I would opt to try that out first.
You are aware that the bucketmethod gives randomly spread scratches and patches of under-developed-bleache-fixed patches.?

Looks arty but seldomly nice if you are not after that look :)
Kind regards,

André
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

aj wrote:
Mana wrote:Bucket Processing sounds much easier than using a hose. I would opt to try that out first.
You are aware that the bucketmethod gives randomly spread scratches and patches of under-developed-bleache-fixed patches.?

Looks arty but seldomly nice if you are not after that look :)

This is probably why I'm avoiding it. My OCD is minor but pouring chemicals into a bucket of film with it all rubbing on itself would drive me insane! :D