Question about ND Filter and UV Filter

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Shanec8mm

Question about ND Filter and UV Filter

Post by Shanec8mm »

I plan to use a ND filter number 3 when I start filming with the new 100D Super 8 film. I will be filming with a Minolta Autopak 8 D-6. So here is my question. Can I use a ND filter with the standard UV filter (that came with my camera) at the same time? Or should I just use the ND filter over the taking lens?
ricohmite

Re: Question about ND Filter and UV Filter

Post by ricohmite »

Yes, you can use a UV filter with an ND filter. I keep a UV filter on all of my lenses all of the time just to protect them.
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

More filters = more chance of vignetting at wide angles, and more chance of flare.
super8man

Post by super8man »

I would tend to NOT use an UV filter if I was using a ND filter. Pick one.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

Thanks guys! I originally posted this thread with vignetting in mind, so my question was answered. I will use the ND filter over the taking lens only.
mauka

Post by mauka »

UV filters are ok to be used as lens caps, but I would always take it off before shooting. Only the really expensive ones are any worth, and if you have nice lens you really don't need UV filter. Of course photography shops recommend these, because they get more profit from selling filters than the actual lenses.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

Quick question for someone to answer. If I decide to use a .03 ND filter on my Minolta movie camera can I use it all the time when filming under sunny skies? I normally film under these conditions so I assumed using a .03 ND filter would be OK with the new Ektachrome 100D?? Thanks.
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Shanec8mm wrote:Quick question for someone to answer. If I decide to use a .03 ND filter on my Minolta movie camera can I use it all the time when filming under sunny skies? I normally film under these conditions so I assumed using a .03 ND filter would be OK with the new Ektachrome 100D?? Thanks.
Don't ask to us, ask to your lightmeter... A ND filter is used to reduce incoming light so as long as you have light enough for filming you can use it. Under very sunny skies with E100D you will probably always need it to avoid the highest numbers of your diaphragm.

A ND.3 filter is only 1 stop less.