8mm camera info

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

tr0x

8mm camera info

Post by tr0x »

Hi, i'm looking for a regular 8mm camera with D-Mount lenses, reflex viewfinder and electric motor... does it exist?!?
Thanks,
MIKI-814

Re: 8mm camera info

Post by MIKI-814 »

I would say "no". I only know, as electric operated 8mm camera, the "Canon Zoom 8 EEE" which is also reflex, but with fixed lens...
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

There are the Yashica models that are electric powered. The d-mount version is called the Yashica-M which has two or three lenses on a turret but it's not reflex. There is a reflex version with a zoom lens that is not removeable that's called the Yashica U-Matic. I have one of each of these and can post pictures of them if you want to see them. They do show up on eBay at times with prices from $10 to $50.
standard8

Post by standard8 »

The nearest thing would be a bolex B/C/D/H8 with a Pan Cinor zoom lens which came with a relflex dog leg view finder.
http://www.standard8.org - Resources for the Standard/Double/Normal 8 Filmmaker
tr0x

Post by tr0x »

Herb Montes wrote:There are the Yashica models that are electric powered. The d-mount version is called the Yashica-M which has two or three lenses on a turret but it's not reflex. There is a reflex version with a zoom lens that is not removeable that's called the Yashica U-Matic. I have one of each of these and can post pictures of them if you want to see them. They do show up on eBay at times with prices from $10 to $50.
I've seen it a couple of times on ebay, it seems a very nice camera, but unfortunately i need d-mount lenses...
tr0x

Post by tr0x »

standard8 wrote:The nearest thing would be a bolex B/C/D/H8 with a Pan Cinor zoom lens which came with a relflex dog leg view finder.
No, thanks, in fact i'm just selling my pan-cinor 40 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0250715215

Anyway, it seems almost certain that there isn't such a camera :(
downix

Post by downix »

Do you ship to the US? (I've needed one for my Bolex L8)
tr0x

Post by tr0x »

downix wrote:Do you ship to the US? (I've needed one for my Bolex L8)
Yes, unregistered mail (at your own risk) to the USA is about 10 euro.
Registered or insured mail is more :(
downix

Post by downix »

You just got your first bid.
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

tr0x wrote:
Herb Montes wrote:There are the Yashica models that are electric powered. The d-mount version is called the Yashica-M which has two or three lenses on a turret but it's not reflex. There is a reflex version with a zoom lens that is not removeable that's called the Yashica U-Matic. I have one of each of these and can post pictures of them if you want to see them. They do show up on eBay at times with prices from $10 to $50.
I've seen it a couple of times on ebay, it seems a very nice camera, but unfortunately i need d-mount lenses...
The Yashica-M I have takes d-mount lenses but is not reflex. I have seen a triple lens turrent model on eBay but I'm not sure if it was electric or clockwork. Because of their short flange focus d-mounts may not be suitable for reflex cameras which require space between the lens and gate for a prism or pelicle. That is why the Bolex H8 Reflex has special c-mount lenses.
downix

Post by downix »

tr0x wrote:
downix wrote:Do you ship to the US? (I've needed one for my Bolex L8)
Yes, unregistered mail (at your own risk) to the USA is about 10 euro.
Registered or insured mail is more :(
Egads, I won this, er, ok, I'll send payment when I get paid saturday.

Yay! My Bolex L8 will be workable again! (it's lens apeture blades "fell" rendering it useless)
tr0x

Post by tr0x »

downix wrote: Egads, I won this, er, ok, I'll send payment when I get paid saturday.
you should receive the lens within 7-10 working days :D
downix wrote: Yay! My Bolex L8 will be workable again! (it's lens apeture blades "fell" rendering it useless)
Hum... according to bolex collector
http://www.bolexcollector.com/cameras/l8em.html
you will need an adapter to use a d-mount lens with the L-8... but since i don't have that camera, i cannot confirm this.
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

Yes, the L8 uses d-mount lenses with a longer focal distance. Or a standard d-mount with an adapter ring that increases that distance. I got one of those adapters that came with a lens. I simply removed the adapter to use the lens on another camera.
downix

Post by downix »

Herb Montes wrote:Yes, the L8 uses d-mount lenses with a longer focal distance. Or a standard d-mount with an adapter ring that increases that distance. I got one of those adapters that came with a lens. I simply removed the adapter to use the lens on another camera.
Any way I could buy the adaptor from you?
standard8

Post by standard8 »

apparently some of the beaulieus have d mount and reflex viewing. but beaulieus are hard to get cameras at the best of times.
http://www.standard8.org - Resources for the Standard/Double/Normal 8 Filmmaker